What say we all campaign for a newer, better iChat?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by absurdio, Dec 10, 2003.

1. absurdio macrumors 6502

Listen, after reading the post on everyone's favorite chat client and trying a number of them, I've come to one conclusion: iChat has potential, but needs work. For Mac to produce such an inadequate chat program is borderline disgraceful; with everything else about Macs being so much advanced, I would expect a chat program that's at least on a par with AIM...

So my thought is this: if enough of us draw attention to this, maybe we can get some of the necessary changes / improvements made. Perhaps a petition is in order? Can't guarantee any results, of course, but if anyone agrees that iChat's in need of some work, I'd be interested to see what you think here.

Incedentally, I'm not sure this is the ideal place for this thread, but, as I"m not sure what else would be, I put it here and would certainly not object to it being moved to a more appropriate place.

Now if anyone else is interested, here are the things that immediately leap to my attention in the way of things that need renovations:

1) compatability with ICQ, yahoo messenger, and whatever else (the point is not just AIM)

2) a way to edit your buddy info. really, why would they omit that? it's not necessary, i guess, but it sure is handy.

3) tabbed windows would be a nice touch. So far, the only service i know that offers tabbed windows is GAIM for linux, but I'd love it if Apple would pioneer it for other systems.

Anyhow, let me know what you think. Any other suggestions? Would there even be any backing behind such a petition (or whatever) ? Well, here we go.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It already has compatibility with ICQ accounts.

You'll have to talk to Apple, not Mac. The computer can't do anything about it--the company can. ;)

3. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

heh. true enough. to both. that was sloppy...

see, that's why i post here, rather than going to them directly =)

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i stopped using ichat a while ago, i got tired of al lthe multiple windows. i have moved to adium 2.0 and never looked back, has everything i would want.

iJon

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I read the topic and did some research on iChat AV. I just realized that after completing my switch next week, I'm gonna miss DeadAIM. I might have to downlad AIM to my mac...ugg..

IChat awesomness @ MWSF? Let's hope so.

6. Waluigi macrumors 6502

The tabbed browsing in safari should make it into iChat eventually, but I still refuse to use iChat (except for video chatting, which it excells at) until they allow me to have a profile!

Get your act together Apple! Honestly!

--Waluigi

7. beefcake macrumors 6502

I really want to see a decent chat client come out for the Mac. I only use AIM, and iChat is awful at the simple, practical functions that AIM is all about. I want to chat without bubbles and be able to have a profile, is that too much to ask? Maybe you can get rid of the bubbles, but the buddy info just isn't cool. I tried Adium but found it to be too buggy and unstable, even the most current version. AIM works, but its bloated and missing some key features (tabbed windows).

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I'm happy enough using Fire, instead. The only thing about iChat I miss is its prettiness. Fire is ugly, but has every feature under the sun, except maybe tabbed chat windows. Oh, and it's free as the wind blows.

However, a new version is coming out soon which will be skinnable, so we'll finally be able to move beyond the ugliness that is Fire.

9. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Why not campaign for a new version of MSN messenger, one that doesn't crash and has all of the functions of MSN 6.X for PC?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's a petition here if you're interested, for MSN Messenger. I didn't make it. I only made this one :D

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, I'd rather have an improved MSN messenger for the Mac. I like iChat. In fact, I leave it running pretty much whenever I have a internet connection, but having an auto response thing like AIM has would be sweet. It'd surely cut down the "sup" messages I get when I'm listed as away. I do wish iChat would support dial-up speeds for audio/video, unless Apple wants to go to all the rural towns and set up DSL or Cable internet.

12. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

i just got adium, tried it again, and, as with the first time i tried it, i found that it didn't work very consistantly. I still have some hope for it, so I haven't given up, yet, but it doesn't look good.

iChat does have the advantages of being tied to your address book and looking awfully pretty...but beyond that, it's missing quite a bit. It doesn't look like people are too interested in making a major call for apple to revamp ichat, but if we did take that route, we could demand some msn compatability, too. =)