What Scanner for OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by maclamb, Aug 19, 2002.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

What scanner have you *actually* used with OS X that works well, has drivers for OSX, has good quality and is under ~$300 US?

Will be scanning photos for web sites, text recognition, etc.
    Nothing super pro.

Please, only a scanner you have used or actually seen working under OSX - no promisies, please.

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

How about under $100?

I use my Agfa SnapScan 1212u bought 2 years ago and it works flawlessly in OS X with ScanWise X from the Agfa website (it's a free download). I love it and it is perfect for transferring pictures for iPhoto, web and flyers. There are, of course, better and more expensive scanners out there.

Gus

3. Peter macrumors newbie

I have an Epson Perfection 1200U that's been working great in 10.1, and now Jaguar. To scan into Photoshop 7 you need to use some software from their developers site ("Scan To File" and "Plug-In Module for Adobe Photoshop"), but despite the warnings about the software still being "in development", it works smoothly and with no problem at all (at least for me). Even before they had any OSX scanning software, I was able to scan into Photoshop 6 in Classic.

Taking a quick look at the Epson site, it seems my scanner has been supplanted by model 1250U or 1250 Photo. $99 and $129 respectively. For the use you want from it, which sounds pretty much what I do with mine, I really don't see why you should spend any more than that.

4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thanx,

I was looking at the Epson Perfvection 1650 - but wanted to hear from someone that they had gotten Epson and its related support sw to work on OSX