What set-up would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ChrisFromCanada, Aug 12, 2004.

1. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Ok so I enjoy editing video on my Dual G4 set-up in my signature but I have decided I would like two things:

A. - More power
    B. - Portability (Ariport Extreme)

Now I am faced with two possible options:

1. Get:
    -A new dual 1.8 GHz G5 2GB RAM 80GB + 200GB external
    AND
    -A used G3 900MHz 640Mb RAM 40 GB combo drive

PROs: Best of both worlds Wireless and desktop video editing power.
    CONs: weak for video editing on the road and worrying about if I have all the files/programs I need are on the ibook or on the desktop.

OR

2. Get a New 15" 1.5 GHz Powerbook, 1.5Gigs of RAM, 5400 RPM 80 GB HD, 128 Mb of Vram + 200GB external

PROs: Can edit and burn movies on the road and will have all of my files/programs on one computer
    CONs: Far from the power of a G5

What would you choose? Keep in mind I use Final Cut Pro, Will be using Motion, and I use Photoshop.

-Chris

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Where do you edit most? At home or on the road, it boils down tho this, where do you need the power to be?

The G5 will whip the 1.5 G4, but that's no good if you need to do a lot of video editing on the move.

3. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

You mention airport extreme. Does the G3 900 have airport or airport etreme? Either way, I say go with the dual G5 and an ibook. Unless, as mentioned before, you edit alot on the go. If you rarely do, or are not pressed for time on the go, get both!

4. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Geez that's a dumb post. It's like asking, what would you prefer: A)both a lightning fast Porsche 911, which has no cargo space, and a 1989 Chevy station wagon or B) A six-cyclinder BMW top-model stationwagon with sports suspension.

That decision is totally personal and would be difficult enough to make even for someone who knew you well.

The real question should be: Is a g3 ibook slow enough in video editing to negate the benefit of its portability? The answer to that question would be YES. I happen to own both a dual 1.8 (along with a new dual 2.5) and a g3 ibook 900 and the latter is only fit for itunes, web surfing, and old games.

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

#1 hands down.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Could you wait intill the G5 pbooks(if you folllow the rumors which could be soon). If you need the computer(s) right now I would choose the dual G5 and 900 Mhz G3 ibook.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

While your choice will depend on how much you need a fast portable computer, I woud personally go with option #1. You get 2 computers: a super fast desktop, and a good laptop for non-video stuff. My dream set up is actually just that, a dual G5 desktop with a 12" ibook or powerbook for easy portability.

8. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I'm almost there... (sig) :p