Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SheerGold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I want to put some photos on eBay showing my monitor screen when it is switched on. That is so people looking at my eBay ad will be able to see details of settings, programs, etc.

BUT when I take a photo of the screen the picture is just a mass of white.

I'm using a Fuji S7000. It's s middle of the range digital SLR.

As I am a beginner photographer, I normally just use the AUTO setting for everything.

Anyone know what settings I need to change?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
BUT when I take a photo of the screen the picture is just a mass of white.

Here are a bunch of random ideas. You've not given enough information to narrow this down , so I list everything

Is it over exposed? sounds like it. If you want to use automatic setting you need to get close enough the the screen fill most of the image. This way the automatic exposure system is not "fooled".

One trick might be to turn the brightness down on the screen. So the brightnees of the screen is a cloer match to the brightness of the plastic frame

If you just want to show what is in the screen you'd be be far better off doing a doing a "screen grab" and saving the data to a file. In other words don't us ea camera at all.

Lastly, is this a CRT? If so make sure the shutter speed is longer then the screen refresh period. Say the screen refreshes 60 times per second. this means that the shutter needs to be slower than 1/60th second

I hope you are not using a flash. If so that "mass of white" is just the flash reflecting off the glass screen. There is not reason to use a flash. You can't photograph a glass surface using a flash.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I hope you are not using a flash. If so that "mass of white" is just the flash reflecting off the glass screen. There is not reason to use a flash. You can't photograph a glass surface using a flash.

At an angle, you can. Still, agreed, no reason to use a flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.