What shipping on a new Powerbook (Build-to-order) model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by starcrossed, Jun 7, 2004.

1. starcrossed macrumors regular

I have decided to just give in to temptation and buy a Powerbook now but I want to know what shipping I should get. Since it is a build-to-order model that states it will take 3-5 buisness days, does it matter if I get next day shipping or just the free ground shipping. Cause I've heard of people on this board getting their Pbook earlier than they expected but I don't recall if they mentioned what shipping. I know Apple at times can be cool about bumping your shipping preference for free to get it to you as soon as possible, so I just want to see if it would pertain to this purchase so I can save me a little money. :)

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Shipping refers to the time after the ship date. So the free ground shipping will take a little longer, more than likely. Though it is possible that it might not, it probably will. So if you want to get your new computer as soon as possible, then get the most expedited shipping preference that you can.

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

order on a monday. i tend to order on friday's, then it doesn't ship until monday! argh!

4. tliptak macrumors regular

The last 2 times I have ordered powerbooks I have gotten free shipping and they come in 2 days. They are shipping halfway around the world so I don't see how much faster they could do it.

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Just be happy your not in Australia. My PB just arrived. As a DOA replacement it too 17 WORKING days to get to me. Go figure...

6. tliptak macrumors regular

:( That sucks :(

I am stuck in the USA

7. furrina macrumors regular

I'm not in a particular hurry to get my 15" 1.5 PB (yeah, right) but the poor thing seems to be stuck in Sacramento since Friday!! :(
    Supposed to arrive June 10. Fingers crossed.

8. StrangeQuark macrumors member

I ordered my 12" on Sunday with free shipping. It's not due to ship until June 10th.

9. thisjustin macrumors newbie

I ordered my 12" PB yesterday at 08:45 PDT it sill hasn't shipped at 12:43 PDT today. Does anyone know how long it usually takes before shipment. It's BTO 12" 80GB SD.

Thanks

10. StrangeQuark macrumors member

I got mine 1 day after it shipped from Taiwan. Apple was kind enough to overnight it. Ordered it on a Sunday and got it on Thursday morning.

11. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i got the expedited. it's 18$ more, and i think that's worth my sanity. it's been 4 hours and status still hasn't changed to Open yet. arck. this is driving me nuts.

if i can get it faster, i want it faster.

12. thisjustin macrumors newbie

Mine changed to open right away but seems to have been sitting on open for far too long. I have to leave on friday I hope it comes, but Canada Day means it won't come on thursday. Blast!

13. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

5 hours and still no change. something is wrong here. might ahve something to do with the store glitch that keeps on adding AP Express to my order. :(

14. thisjustin macrumors newbie

Your location says GTA, i was under the understanding that AP express is still not available in canada, if it was I would have added it to my order.
    Do you know if i can order it yet?

15. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

The first piece of my PB15 package I ordered last night (Monday night) shipped today. It's (unfortunately) the extended warranty package :p and was shipped via FedEx Ground from Sacramento. The FedEx database simply says that the shipping info has been received but there's nothing on the package being picked-up yet. BTW, I chose the "free" shipping option (prolly shoulda taking the 2-3 day option knowing my impatience for new toys), so perhaps FedEx Ground is what others in the USA selecting Free shipping can expect also.

BTW, do the laptops (I customized a PB15/1.33/256 with a backlit keyboard, 5400 RPM HD, so is that "BTO?") ship from Taiwan always or is that just in some cases?

Mike

16. goodknight411 macrumors member

I ordered a 15" pb last thursday. It sat in Shanghi for 3 days, now it's stuck in Indianapolis ("held at sort facility") grrrr. now i'm leaving and won't be here to recieve it. :eek:
    oh, yeah, i got 2 day shipping. Yeah right.

17. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

I ordered 17 Powerbook with 128 vram and 5400 HD, yesterday morning and it shipped same day and is supposed to be here today... its coming from Harrisburg Pa which I find a bit odd with everyone saying their Powerbooks are coming from overseas...

18. JuicyGoo macrumors member

I ordered my 15" 1.5gHz on mon(6/28) with the free shipping and just today got an email saying that Apple has acknowledged my order. Grrrr....

19. DGFan macrumors 6502a

I'd pay for the express shipping because the free ground shipping will be FedEx Ground and those guys are completely clueless.

20. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Well, my PB15 BTO has shipped. I chose the Free shipping option, and it's coming FedEx "IP Distribution" which uses the red/blue of regular FedEx service and NOT the Ground green/blue.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll get it by tomorrow and I'll have to ride-out the long holiday weekend without my new toy :(

Ironically, the only item I ordered that said "Usually ships within 1 day" was an extra AC adapter, and that has been pushed back 2 days so far (I get an e-mail each day that it is delayed). So, the extended warranty is on the way via FedEx Ground, the PB15 is on the way from Shanghai via FedEx, and the AC adapter is unshipped. Just FYI for those who used the Free Shipping offer.

Mike

21. goodknight411 macrumors member

What do you know. Mine was delivered today, but i'm all the way in another state. Why couldn't it have come yesterday???? :(

22. Scorched X macrumors newbie

I ordered my Powerbook 6/22/2004 and it still hasn't shipped yet. I don't know what's up with Apple.

23. Sogo macrumors 6502

I plan on getting a 15" Pb soon. I want to know how much the two day shipping costs? I know that there is a one day, two day, and three-five day options. But when I click on the 2 day shipping, I see no difference in price. Before I go and choose the 2 day shipping, do you know how much it would cost?

24. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

When I placed my order, the options were Free shipping and "2-3 day" for around $16. When I was toying with the idea of a non-BTO, there was a 1-day option for around $23.

Remember, that is the shipping time AFTER Apple ships it -- i.e. the time that FedEx will take to get the box to your door. There's nothing saying that Apple cannot/will not sit on their thumbs for a couple days (or miss the drop-off deadline for the day as they did on mine, thus adding another day). Just FYI...

Overall, though - it's going to have taken exactly one week from the time I ordered my BTO until the time I'm receiving it (including a US holiday), so I'm very pleased with the free shipping option.