What shoes is Steve Jobs wearing?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by york2600, Dec 9, 2003.

1. york2600 macrumors regular

Does anyone know what kind of shoes Steve Jobs has on in the Rolling Stone article. Those are some rockin shoes and I gotta get some.

http://forums.macrumors.com/

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

[​IMG]

Hmm I'm not sure, but there's the picture in the thread for anybody who knows.

3. justswitched macrumors newbie

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

those are awfully cute. may have to try a pair. i know he always used to wear birks, but they're awfully passe after about 1993 or so, so i thought he might be due for an update. plus, sandals are one thing, i just can't picture him in birk clogs.

pnw

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Eh.. no socks?

phew... those feet will be smelly when he comes home at night :p

6. legion macrumors 6502a

New Balance 600 series. They were cool in the early 1990s (original runs date back to the '70s.) Also known as "the white man's running shoes" as many in the NY world coined them after they were used in every show at NYFW and Bill Clinton was seen jogging with them strapped to his feet. After all the attention, New Balance started courting fashion designers and changed their business model (which used to be all about customized performance running shoes) to capitalizing on their new found "hipness" and started putting out their old lines for the fashion set. It all but rescued a dying company. (This is also about the time Adidas started realizing they had a cachet of cool they weren't using from the Run DMC days, etc, and started reissuing old lines as the "Originals" set which was soon followed by Reebok and the "Classic White" campaign.)

The NB600 series are the epitome of the concept of "so uncool they're cool"; of course that was in the the early 1990s and we currently live in the 2000s. Time for SJ to loose the black turtle neck/jeans/NB and move into the 2000s.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i respectfully disagree... NB shoes are exactly what the trendy kids are looking for here in dc. i think steve-o looks pretty cool :D

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

personally, i'm not sure about the turtleneck. i know he insists on one outfit, because of the infamous einstein habit, but the black mock turtles are just kind of grungy... then again, there's little that's simple enough to be worn daily, without showing any particular style whatsoever (so it can be a style in itself). maybe fresh black t-shirts... even long-sleeved...

the jeans he will keep unless he gets ass implants... which, with steve-o, we should not rule out...

pnw

9. legion macrumors 6502a

In the retail business, there was always jokes about the geographics of style.. NY would get it first, then a year later it'd be adopted into LA, the winter following LA's adoption, Chicago would get it (unless it's fur, in which case it'd be there as soon as in NY--they love their fur in Chicago), then the rest of the midwest would get the current fad. Florida would have adopted anything super tight and brightly coloured first after LA.

I guess D.C. has a different layer.. 10 yrs later it falls to the kids after the President wears it?? (j/k) :D

(Actually, when and where I worked/played in D.C. it was mostly either suits/"Capitol Hill" wear or old/ex-Seattle style for the kids)

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i wonder if those are one of the few new balance models made 100% in the usa..... hmmm

11. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

New Balance 991's. They are very popular among 20-30 somethings. Both guys and gals. Very stylish with jeans IMO. I love mine. Don't be fooled. They're very expensive, and high-quality running shoes (although they are mostly worn for fashion).

yes, I took a picture of mine just for this thread:cool:

Attached Files:

12. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I agree, I love my New Balance shoes!!

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have a pair of NB 337's that I've worn for years and they are the best shoes for everyday comfort I've ever had. They were pretty cheap, too.

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I just realized that his closet must be very funny to look into: the top row filled with tens of identical black shirts, the bottom row filled with tens of essentially similar jeans. How funny!

Oh, and for the record, nasty looking running shoes are not and never were fashionable.