What should I back up?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macguymike, Apr 25, 2003.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

I'm going to be sending my PBG4 12" off to Apple to have the combo drive replaced. The odd thing is that the AppleCare tech I spoke to said that Apple might decide they need to wipe my hard drive and that it would cost $50 for them to back it up for me. :rolleyes:

Why the heck would they need to erase my hard drive to replace the optical drive??

Anyway, I'm not paying them to do it. So, I'm interested in suggestions on what all I should be backing up (including stuff like bookmarks, my Mail, etc.) and where to find those files.

Thanks!

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

/Library (system prefs)
    /Users (user prefs)
    any apps you would't want to reinstall

then just boot into 9 and drag your old folders onto the new ones when u get it back (no permissions in 9). i did clean install recently this way and everything came back up with only a few minor changes.

3. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't boot into 9. Also, by Library I'm guessing you mean the one not in the Users folder, right?

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

you are correct. these are the only system files that change (/Lib /Users /Apps).

if u have to do it in X, then it's a lot harder if you don't know Unix well. I was just trying to come up with an easy solution.

5. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately its not my choice about booting in 9... Apple made that decision for me. :p

Thanks for your help. :)

6. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, do I really need to back up my whole Library folder? It's almost 1,000MB.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

you really only need to update the following in the library folder:

address book
    preference panes
    preferences
    user pictures (optional)

and it's good to back up the entire library from your users folder...the rest of your users folder is to your discretion

8. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. I wasn't looking forward to having to split that whole folder on two CDs. Thanks. :D

9. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay.. now its telling me I can't read some of the files in Users/(myname)/Library.

I tried fixing the Permissions to all Read/Write and applying to everything inside but it still gives me the same message.