What Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SaintEm0, Jan 29, 2005.

1. SaintEm0 macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2005

Me and my dad are both buying computers soon. He is buying a mini mac, so he can have a desktop computer, and I am buying a laptop because I already have a eMac. The problem is, I don't know which kind to get. One of the employees at my local apple store suguested to me that because of my age (14 by the way) that a 12" ibook would be best. The problem is that I move around a lot what with my activites, and don't have time to go home and check my e-mail and talk to my friends, so I'm getting a airport card, to network with my eMac. But, the 12" ibook isn't fast enough for getting everything done fast, and then off to band practice. If anyone has any links or advice on what laptop to buy I'd appreciate it.
  2. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    The iBook isn't fast enough? What exactly do you do "before you go to band practice"? Encode a DVD? The iBook is a very capable machine, and isn't a ripoff, compared to the PowerBooks (they're too close to the iBooks in performance, while being hundreds more, basically just because it's aluminum).
  3. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    What do you mean that it is not fast enough? In comparison to the eMac it is roughly the same speed. For what you need to do it is plenty fast imho. Did I read your question correctly?
  4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    This is very true at the moment unfortunatly. If you compare the 12' PB with a 12' ibook the changes are almost negligable. I think the ibook will probably be more than you need at the moment. But if you are still concerned about it and think that you do need a faster computer then I would say wait a bit and see if the 12' PB line increases the G4 to 1.5 Ghz. Then it might be worth plunking down the extra $500 dollars for you.

Still a bit much for just a computer thats just slightly faster.
  5. sarae macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    madison, WI
    You're 14. Get the ibook. (Not to be age-ist or anything.. but really!)
  6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Im only 15 and i am a very intensive user... 3d rendering,audio editing,gaming,and some realtime video editing... the ibook would probably suit his needs but i understand his concern... dont under estimate a 14 year old ;)
  7. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003
    Well tell that Apple employee not to judge peoples abilities by their age for a start. It used to annoy me no end when i was your age.

Sounds like the ibook is plenty fast enough for what you do. Itll do just about any daily task competently. It looks good. Its a decent machine. Just remember to fill it full of RAM.
  8. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Why does age have anything to do with the Mac you use? :p When I was 14, I needed the best Mac they made for what I was doing. (My computer business.) Oh, and gaming. :D lol Now days, most 14 year olds do more on a computer than 40 year olds.

AGE is not the issue here. The issue is what you want/need to do with your computer.

What kind of eMac do you have? Can it do everything you need to do? If so, and its specs are similar to the iBook, an iBook will do everything you need to do, too.
  9. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    By the way, if you're getting a laptop and not considering a desktop, that really narrows down the choices.

Your choices are:

The low-end iBook is a 1.2 GHz G4. The high-end PowerBook (right now) is a 1.5 GHz G4. Do you know how much different in speed that is? Answer: Not a lot.

And you can put a lot of RAM in either one.
  10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    At present, you'd get more bang for your buck buying an iBook and spending the difference on more RAM. I realize, of course, that the Powerbook looks cooler and is a little faster, but it's not worth the difference right now.
  11. themacman macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2004
    im in ur shoes

get the 12" pb combo drive with an edu discount when the new pb comes out
  12. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Non-college school students aren't eligible for the edu discount.
  13. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    When I called tech support they told me I was eligble.

I am in highschool. 15.

But I checked online and it says I am not.

So I called again and they told me I was. So I am not really sure what to believe.

Anyway I am in the same exact shoes as you almost. I have no advice but this waiting can drive a person crazy. :)
  14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    However, if you see a future that includes digital audio production with *this* laptop, consider the Powerbook 15" for its Firewire 800 and its PCCard slot, both of which might be integral to a travelling studio setup.
    Not to mention that you can upgrade the RAM and hard drive more readily in a PB than an iBook.

15. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    jeez, not fast enough??? for what???

I'm on a 1Ghz titanium Powerbook and that one is fast enough

get the iBook and get stuff done instead of complaining... :rolleyes:

16. themacman macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2004
    not true

if you buy it online you are aloud
  17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Before we all start jumping to conclusions, we don't know the full conversation that saintem had with the guy. My first thought was that due to his age (and possible needs) that the 12" screen would be OK for him, compared to someone older like myself might prefer a larger easier to read screen (to the younger ones here, beware life after 35 can be a bit tough :D - even more so after 40 :eek: ).