What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by it5five, May 31, 2006.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I know I made a sort-of-similar post in another thread, but this one is asking sort a different thing.

As a freshman film student, what would I generally need for my first two years or so? Laptop or desktop, either is fine with me. Is the powermac overkill, would an iMac be okay? I'm assuming 2GB of RAM would be enough, but any suggestions? Please?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Will you be using FCP? I have a 12" PB and just using iMovie can be painful at times. iWeb is a real hassle when I'm shuttling between programs, folders, etc. Anyway, the more screen real estate you have the more you'll like it. I plan on getting a 19-20 inch LCD this fall and I'm sure that I'll be happy with it.

An iMac would be fine, the new ones are a lot snappier. Although the iMacs can be easily moved from one point to another, they're not portables. If portability is important then you might want to consider the new Macbooks. They're fast enough but even the 15" isn't going to have enough screen space to comfortably edit film. A Macbook plus an external monitor would be about the same price as an iMac.

3. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Yeah, I'll be doing FCP.

Portability isn't important, though I admit it would be nice to bring it along with me to have something to do between classes.

So in your opinion the iMac would be okay?

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If you know you'll be able to replace it in 2 years then yes, I think it'll be fine. If you might not be able to replace it in 2 years then it might make sense to wait for the new towers. That way you could get a really nice Cinema Display! But, that would mean spending a lot of money.

If you got a 17", you could always get another display later if you wanted something larger, the $400 difference would go a long ways towards getting another one.

It would also be good to talk to other students who've taken the class or perhaps even the profs, they might be able to give you more useful info.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

iMovie is very slow, not the computer. FCP is much more snappier.

I think the OP should get a PowerMac, or wait for Mac Pros. Laptop for such things isnt the best.