What Should I Do? (eBay Problem)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Aug 29, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I sold my old PC on eBay, and got this e-mail yesterday from thr buyer:

"Hello Todd,
    I wish you had put the problem with the phone cord in your listing, I would NEVER have bought it. When we plug the phone in all the phones go dead in the house. NO neither of the phone places work. I am very disappointed in this item. We being on a fixed income paid (a lot to us) money for a machine that is of no use to us. I would like you to take it back & refund our money. So I can buy one that works.
    Thank you, Lynne"

I sent her this reply

" just looked at the picture of the back of the computer, and am VERY SORRY, but I just realized It does not have a modem. I got it from a friend and have been using in on my network for a few months and never looked for a modem, the stats in my auction were direct from Sony's site, and I didn't realize the modem had been removed. The ports that you plugged your phone line into were Ethernet Ports not Modem ports, which is probably why you phones went dead. If you would like I can order an external modem (since it is easy to install), online, and have it shipped directly to your house, at no charge of course, which will solve your problems, or if not I will give you a refund, but I would like to try to resolve this before we go that route. I really am terribly sorry for this inconvenience, and hope that we can work something out. Again I am sorry.
    Thank you Todd."

She replied this morning with this:

"Hi Todd,
    We have given it thought & would rather return the computer & get a refund.
    We are OLD people 75 yrs. We don't know computers like you young people & don't want to get tangled up in a mess for us.
    You know they sell computers w/no modems & people do buy them, but you said this one had a modem. That is why I bought it. With no modem is not what I was buying.
    Please refund the money & I will return your computer w/no modem.
    Thank you, Lynne"

So anyway It WAS my fault that I listed the modem in the listing and it didn't have one. As I said in my reply I got it from a friend and never really looked to see if ti actually had the modem. I do intend on giving her a refund, since she won't take the external, however im not sure how to do it? She seems to wan't me to refund the money, and then she'll ship it back to me. Im not an idiot, and don't wan't to refund her money before I have the computer, back in my hands. Someone I don't think shes going to want to ship it back to me before I give here a refund. What should I do?

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

If you misled them (whether it be on purpose, or not) - then they have grounds to get a refund, via PayPal or eBay.

You have 2 options:

1. Be very sympathetic, and tell them you will knock money off the computer, and send a modem free of charge
    2. Refund the money (Make sure you get the computer back FIRST)

Good luck!

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah im not arguing that they deserve a refund, just trying to figure out the logistics of it, she probably isn't going to want to send it back, before I give her a refund, and im not gonna give here a refund till she sends it back. Kinda a Catch 22 :). I already offered a free modem, and she didn't take it so I doubt option 1 would go over very well. Im gonna send her an e-mail and see what she says I guess

4. iHotu macrumors regular

Ask her to use eBay's "item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process" and tell her you will not dispute the lack of a modem, this will help protect both parties.

The info can be found on eBay's Dispute Console page.

5. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Her spelling in the emails bugs me. And I know she said shes 70-something, but I'm 101 ;) . You can't ever be to careful on eBay.

To process a refund, you must have the item back first - it even works that way in a shop.

Tell her you have no qualms about refunding the money, but your terms and conditions are, you must have the item back first. Tell her to look at your feedback etc, and all the usual.

6. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Im no spelling bee champion my self, but whats wrong with her spelling? Anyway I just sent her an email and said I would have no problems issuing a refund as soon as I receive the computer back. We'll see what she says

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

She just replied

"Hi Todd,
    You needed the money before you shipped the computer. Now I would like the refund before I ship the computer back. I am an honest person & will return your computer after I receive my refund.
    Thank you, Lynne"

She makes a valid point, but still... Im not going to do it. I don't know what to do now. She has 161 Feedback on eBay and only 2 negatives which don't seem to be her fault.

8. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Maybe I'm stereotyping.. But why would someone who is 70 and on a fixed income as she said, have 161 feedback? Seems a tad dodgy?

9. Lau Guest

Hmm. I'd google her eBay name and check there's nothing on the net about her, and if not, I think she's got a valid point in a way and you might just have to refund her first.

How much money are we talking just out of interest?

10. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I thought that as well.... Mabye she buys EVERTHING on ebay to save some money? Who knows...

Well with shipping she paid $160.00 Which is also a lot of money to me, so I don't want to get screwed out of a computer and $160

11. iGary Guest

iGary

This is why I never sell technology on eBay - I used to, but no more.

12. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

13. Lau Guest

Hmm. I'd be tempted to risk it — I don't think a professional scammer would swindle you out of $160, but I know where you're coming from. If I lost $160 I'd be pissed off as well.

Could you suggest that you'll refund, say $80, and refund the rest when you get the computer back? And then if she kicks up a fuss offer $100 upfront, $60 on delivery?

(Edit: Looking at her feedback, she does look like an old lady, and one who's been registered for a while and who doesn't use it that often. I think I'd risk it personally, to keep her happy, as it was your mistake.)

14. iGav macrumors G3

Hear that noise??? that's f**king alarm bells my friend.

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I agree. She doesnt sound legit to me.

16. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I am not sure what kind of scammer would buy expenive items on ebay in the hope of something is wrong with it. The best thing to do is have her ship the item back and you send her the money, how you will do this is beyound me :/

17. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

get her to ship the item back to you after she has done the ebay return thing, she is responsible for the cost of shipping it back and you DONT have to refund her original shipping costs , check ebays policy, I have dealt with things like this before, mostly small items but its the same principle.

Yes you made a small booboo , but how hard is it to add a phone modem to a PC? and cost under $10. grrr

something is not right here.

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

When you buy something from an online store (Apple, for example), you pay for the item, then they ship the item. If you return something, you send it back, THEN they give you a refund. The process is the reverse of when it's sold... the seller is always the LAST to act (buyer pays, shipper ships; buyer returns, seller refunds).

Don't give her a refund until you have the item back in hand and you've tested to make sure it is as it was when you shipped it out.

19. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

This sounds interesting....honestly, don't refund the money until the product is returned. If she negs you, so what? If your seller history is great, one little mark like this isn't going to do anything. But refunding the money BEFORE returning the computer seems a bit...perposterous to do. You may wind up losing the computer and the $$$.

And does she know that the amount of $$$ it would take to return the computer is enough to buy her a dial up modem at COMPUSA? And even have it installed?

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yup. You've already proven that you're an honest seller by shipping the item to complete the transaction. She's initiating the reversal, which puts you at risk for a loss of money if she's not honest about things. She was willing to risk losing the money if you didn't ship the item (but you did and she didn't) so she shouldn't be hesitant to ship it back and trust you to refund the money, which is the opposite of what's already happened.

I'd offer to have her ship it back so you can install an internal modem and return the item. If she still refuses, she's either scamming or using your error as a window to get over her buyer's remorse.

Red flag #3: she tries to play tech stupid, but wtf is she doing buying dozens of items on eBay?

21. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well she's shipping it back, and having FedEX, UPS, or whatever shes using charge me for the return shipping, which I have no problem with. I agree that she shouldn't have to pay return shipping on it, and I don't mind paying it. At least she has agreed to ship it back first

22. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well this might be a good idea, she is not going to pay to ship it back to me, and then pay again for me to ship it back after I install the modem. I would have to pay close to $80 in shipping round trip, so it's just not worth it. I will get the computer back, and sell it again to someone else. This thing is gonna do a lot of traveling :).

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

A $120 old, used computer and she paid $40 in shipping? That's just stupid. I can barely believe you'd pay $40 to get it back and bother reselling it. If it only bids up to $80 in a relisting, you do know you'd net the same amount of cash as if you'd have fixed it and paid for the round trip, yeah?

I snagged a PM G4 on eBay a few months back but I searched only local auctions knowing I would save a substantial fraction of the total auction price by picking it up in person. $105 cash 'n' carry.

24. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I'll decide what to do with it when I get it back, and you seem to be implying that I charged too much for shipping. This thing weighed like 30Lbs, it was actually like $35.00 to ship. Im hoping if I sell it on eBay again, I'll get back at least $125 for it again, or mabye I'll just give it to my aunt, she could use a newer computer.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Mmm hmm. I'm sure it was real fake.