What should I do? I want a G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Winstonp, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I am VERY low on funds, and I need a desktop, not so much with more power, but with better video gaming abilities.

My system now:
    Mini 1.25/combo/ 32 megs video ram :( crucial 1 GB ram
    18.1 NEC monitor LCD
    apple white pro keyboard
    wireless kensington pro mouse
    80GB USB 2.0 maxtor drive

I also have a Dell P3 800mhz inspiron note book with CD/20gig/XP

I want an iMac G5 , basically because of their 64 meg nvidia (not alot, but my powerbook outperforms me desktop :/) .

Do you think I could sell my goods on ebay or anywhere and come out with what I need? (Base model)

2. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i think if you go with an iMac G5 refurb you could make it happen for sure.

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ummm if you don't mind my asking why did you go and buy the mini than if you knew it wouldn't be enough for the games you wanna play?

4. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I just started playing, and I don't see myself stopping

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

How bad is the difference from your PowerBook? I'm not a gamer, but I guess that extra VRAM really does help .. or is the Go5200 just that much better than the 9200?

6. PhantomVI macrumors newbie

Without a better video card, you're stuck right now. Sorry to say, but to put together a Mac gaming rig is going to cost you a lot of cash...
    Cross your fingers and hope a better (and user replaceable) video card comes out for the Mini soon....but in the meantime you'll have more than enough power to do whatever else you want.
    As far as G5s go, the student/academic employee discount helps out A LOT.

7. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

though i do love macs i would not warrant the best for gaming. LIke the other replier said why would you go with a budget pc for something that demands performance on video cards and the rest of the system. the furthest your going to go is sof2 and wc3. i suggest if your really desperate for a gaming rig just get a dell and just up the video card.