Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck67322

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
My iPod was in my pocket, and I forgot about it, so when I was changing this morning, I threw my pants in the hamper, then I put it in the washing machine...
Do you think the warranty will cover it?
Because it's jailbroken.
Or is there a way to dry it without taking it to Apple?
Please respond!!!

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Put it in a bag of raw rice NOW. Do not turn it on to see if it will work, if you do you'll break it. Leave it in bag for 3 days. Test the iPod. It may need charging.
Did you take out an accidental plan from a third party? If not then you are screwed warranty-wise.

Chuck67322

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Put it in a bag of raw rice NOW. Do not turn it on to see if it will work, if you do you'll break it. Leave it in bag for 3 days. Test the iPod. It may need charging.
Did you take out an accidental plan from a third party? If not then you are screwed warranty-wise.

What if I tried putting it in DFU mode?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I really do not get the issue with people when they get something wet having issues understanding that they simply.

DO

NOT

TURN

IT

ON

FOR

ANY

REASON

No reason at all? not a moment... the singular second that your device is turned on while wet... is the exact moment you can kiss any hope of it working buh bye.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
Why do people ask if the warranty would cover it? What electronics company would cover anybody putting their item in the washing machine?

Chuck67322

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Try it. If it works, I'll give you a picture of a cookie. If not, I won't care if you're mad that it no longer works since you've already been advised not to turn it on right now.

I'll put it in rice first, so check back in 3-7 days

Four20

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
this only works if you turn it off immediately after it gets wet right? if it's on during the entire wash cycle then I think it's pretty much done

atticus18244fsa

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Waterloo, ON
This is the only possible fix:

Advice_dog_system_32.jpg

Honestly though, put in rice and don't turn it on for a couple of days.

Chuck67322

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
This is the only possible fix:

Honestly though, put in rice and don't turn it on for a couple of days.

I actually LOL'd at that picture

this only works if you turn it off immediately after it gets wet right? if it's on during the entire wash cycle then I think it's pretty much done

It was on in the washer (it was "sleeping") for about 1 minute, so I don't think it did that much

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
My iPod was in my pocket, and I forgot about it, so when I was changing this morning, I threw my pants in the hamper, then I put it in the washing machine...
Do you think the warranty will cover it?
Because it's jailbroken.
Or is there a way to dry it without taking it to Apple?
Please respond!!!

its jailbroken and you put it in the washer. Sure apple is just gonna give you a brand spaken new one no questions asked

Chuck67322

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
its jailbroken and you put it in the washer. Sure apple is just gonna give you a brand spaken new one no questions asked

I don't want a new one though
Just wait tomorrow, and I'll see it still works, then I'll go to Apple

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i think you're pretty much screwed. i fell out of our boat with my iPod 5th generation in my pocket and right after it happened i set it in the sun for a few hours and then i still didn't touch it for a week to make sure it dried all the way and it didn't work.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Too late
I already tried it, doesn't work
I'm taking it to Apple tomorrow

There's a moisture sensor in the headphone jack that turns pink when it comes in contact with water. Apple will see it's turned pink, and will either hand you back the iPod and say they can't do anything, or will make you pay for either a repair or a brand new one. No way will they just go out the back and pull out a brand new one and give it to you for nothing.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I would suggest hitting it with air from a hair dryer. Not too hot, you don't want to cook it, just help dry it out. The suggestion to let it sit for a week is a good one. This gives the water in it time to evaporate, as suggested don't turn it on. You shouldn't turn anything on that is wet. If you wet any small electronic device you should turn it off and remove the batteries if that is possible. Good Luck at the Apple Store tomorrow.

Chuck67322

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I would suggest hitting it with air from a hair dryer. Not too hot, you don't want to cook it, just help dry it out. The suggestion to let it sit for a week is a good one. This gives the water in it time to evaporate, as suggested don't turn it on. You shouldn't turn anything on that is wet. If you wet any small electronic device you should turn it off and remove the batteries if that is possible. Good Luck at the Apple Store tomorrow.

Too late, I'm taking it to Apple because I tried to turn it on while it was wet.

I also hope that there isn't a pink dot...
I checked inside the headphone jack, but I'm not sure if it's pink though

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I also hope that there isn't a pink dot...
I checked inside the headphone jack, but I'm not sure if it's pink though

Apple's not going to do a single thing for you. I feel bad for the geniuses sometimes. How can people wash their iPhone or iPod touch and then have the nerve to think Apple should just replace it? I never understood that.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
There are 2 spots ... 1 in headphone, 1 in dock ....they'll both be bright red and apple will take 1 look and say "sorry no can do"

A warranty covers manufacturing defects or defects occuring through normal use ... they never cover water or accidental damage ... thats what insurance is for

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
There is this thing called fraud. You are trying to return something under a voided warranty. Fraud.

Chuck67322

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
There are 2 spots ... 1 in headphone, 1 in dock ....they'll both be bright red and apple will take 1 look and say "sorry no can do"

A warranty covers manufacturing defects or defects occuring through normal use ... they never cover water or accidental damage ... thats what insurance is for

Oddly, they're not pink (I think), just wish me good luck at the Apple store today. If it doesn't work out...I don't want to think about it, lol

EDIT: Uh-oh....................I checked more closely, and it's quarter-pink.............do you think they will accept it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.