What should I do? (replacing iPod mini)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMacZealot, Sep 7, 2005.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I have the first generation iPod mini light blue, and I'm really feeling out of date! I love my iPod, it's my antidote for my chronic insomnia, but I'm afraid it's too small in terms of my storage needs.

My iTunes library has almost 1800 songs on it, and it grows a lot. I've outgrown my mini. I love that nano so much that I'd get it if only it had space. There's a chance I could get one this weekend, money not being an object.

See, my birthday is tomorrow (yay!) and I know I'll get some cash with it. I have a rainy day fund that has been planned to go to either an iPod or movies with my friends. I may have enough money for a nano, although I don't want to get it because it doesn't have enough space. What I do like is that I would be the only person to have it out of everyone I know, which would be cool. I am the trendsetter if I do say so myself. I read something either here or on AI that new homemade iPods are coming in October. Should I wait for that? Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to ask if the retail stores may have 6 GB minis on sale like what they did when the second generation iMac G5s came out in May 2005. Also, do they still have the environment program where if you buy a new iPod in a retail store and if you have your old one, they'll take it and give you a 10% discount? Do they do that? Thanks again!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

First of all, happy birthday! :D

Now, don't worry too much about not having all your music with you. I have about 65GB at the moment and have got quite used to just syncing across a few tunes to my 40GB iPod without hassle. I'd leap on the nano if I were you. :)

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

agree- nano

i don't ever need my whole library either- i just plan on taking what i know i'll want

4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I'd definatly go for it.
    I know the space may seem a bit of a pain, but the only time it actually becomes a problem is when on holiday, but even that you can plan for.

Yeh go for the mini, having to change music on it... well, any excuse to handle that babe often!

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

If you get the Nano, you will just be in the same situation you're in now. I'm in the exact same situation as you, no really i am. I have a first gen light blue ipod mini, but I have almost 1800 songs in my itunes library.

I think I'm gonna wait until the 5th gen ipods come out. However long that may be.

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That's strange!

Okay, I have some cash now, thank you for the birthday wish BTW, but I think i'll wait until October as well. I heard the fifth generation iPods are coming out in October with home-grown click wheels, LCDs, and some other stuff as well.

Thanks!

7. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

"Also, do they still have the environment program where if you buy a new iPod in a retail store and if you have your old one, they'll take it and give you a 10% discount? Do they do that? Thanks again!" I will pay you more than $25 (ie 10% off a nano for your old ipod mini). I can paypal you the money. I have a confirmed shipping address registered with paypal :)