What should I do with a 17" LCD Studio display with a non-working backlight?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HungrySeacow, Mar 7, 2006.

1. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

I can still see that the LCD matrix is working but the all of the backlights are dead. It seems odd that all four of the florescent lights would go bad at once.

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Maybe ask a local place for a quote on fixing it--whether that means a new bulb or something else. I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but then I've seldom heard of a backlight failing in the first place.

Otherwise, maybe take the back off and see if sunlight through the back does any good? :) I know the Apple logo on a PowerBook can sometimes let enough sunlight through to see the screen with the bulb turned off. Just don't do mess with it while plugged in--could be a shock hazard.

3. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

What would you do to get it working? Maybe you can help the OP out here.

4. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I don't know. I probably would turn the LCD panel into a giant projector or something. Unless, of course, I could find a replacement driver board or lamps. I think it is the driver board, because they all went out at once. Ebay for an ACD w/ a broken LCD panel. Or give it to me!:D

5. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Turn it in to a picture frame! Or use it in whilst wearing a head torch :D

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

from what I remember around this forum, having a backlight replaced is pretty expensive. Unless you're totally in love with this monitor, I'd recommend you send it out to pasture (ebay).