What should i do with my old mac hardware?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by settledown, Apr 13, 2005.

1. settledown macrumors regular

The company I work for has been using Macs since the Macs began. And Over the years we have accumulated a bit of computers and computer hardware that we wish to get rid of.

Were can I sell these things?
    Were can I donate these things?

We have memory chips, cd rom drives, zip drives, a Centris, IIfx, 6100/60AV, 233mhz iMacs, 2 monitors, ethernet hubs...etc.

Is there a good used mac buyer? Are there computer parts buyers?

What should I do?

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

If you have functioning systems, look into giving them to a church mission group.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Do they work?

Does the hardware still function? Things like iMacs (even as 233MHz) should run the latest OS (maybe not all that quickly! - RAM would be an issue). But that means you can use them as picture frames, printer servers, dedicated network servers and stuff like that.
    This suggestion may not be charitable, but I know if I had some old-school hardware around I'd love to play around with what it could be useful for - just as a typewriter or something - maybe in the kitchen to play the odd tune or hold your recepies?
    I've heared of people still running os 7 and using their machine to browse the web and things like that.

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Any old machine capable of running Panther, or even Tiger, is worth keeping in my opinion. Great for servers or music jukeboxes. Those 233Mhz iMacs should run Panther OK-ish aslong as they've got enough RAM.

Really old hardware and old components I'd bin personally. Could try giving them away, car booting them or even Fleabay but that would be too much time and effort for me.

5. settledown thread starter macrumors regular

Panther IS installed on the imacs

What is carbooting?

and we have enough other machines...i think they want to sell them off, make enough for a new mini

6. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

It's a British thing. Every Sunday in good weather there's usually a 'boot sale' in a big field somewhere near by. You get up at stupid o'clock (7am perhaps) chuck all your junk in the boot of your car, drive to this field and throw everything on a cheapo table or ground sheet. Then hopefully hundreds of people come to the event and buy your old junk off you. The one near me has hundreds of sellers and thousands of buyers.

Boot sales are often a good way to pick up some really cheap stuff. DVD's sell for about £2, CD's £1 or so... One mans junk is another mans treasure kind of thing.

I bought an LC II at one last year for abit of fun.. Cost me £5 ($10 ish) with a colour monitor, kb and mouse.

7. settledown thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, a fleamarket

What you describe is alot like an american flea market.

And on a smaller scale, a yard/garage sale.

I think this may be my best option, as the shipping to someone who buys it on ebay is gonna be more than the mac itself.