What should I do with my old PC?

Discussion in 'Community' started by slu, May 11, 2005.

1. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I use a rev A iMac G5 and my wife is getting an iBook or PowerBook for her birthday in a couple weeks, and after that I will have a PC that I can use for something else. Problem is that I am not sure what I can use it for/need it for. I guess a file server or print server, but that seems a bit boring and easy.

Anyone got any ideas? I have a wireless network and broadband, and I am not against spending a few bucks on more RAM/Disk.

Specs of the PC:

Celeron 633 Mhz
    128 MB RAM
    15 GB HDD
    DVD-ROM Drive
    CD-RW Drive
    WinME (but I have XP, but I never installed it because I thought it would run like a dog)

Any ideas on what to do with this old mini-tower?

2. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Put 256mb more RAM in it, install XP, and use it as a file server I say.. :) Presumably its big, so you can add a larger HD if need be.. I run XP Pro on a 500mhz PIII 256MB RAM sometimes, it moves suprisingly well...

3. slu thread starter macrumors 68000

slu

The max RAM is 256, so I am limited by that.

If I put XP on it, can I access the Windows Box from the Mac using Remote Desktop? That seems like a good thing to have: a PC "Just in Case", but without the overhead of VPC on the Macs. Would this work with ME even? I would guess not, but I don't know.

4. joetronic macrumors 6502

I second that. there are always people out there that could use a PC. I know in Carroll County MD and Adams county PA there are projects to get every family a working PC and internet access. There might be something like that around you too. Just check with your local Chamber of Commerce.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Correct. With XP you can use the MS Remote Desktop for Mac app. That'd be your best move IMO, it is handy to have a PC around from time to time.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

You can get VNC and run it with ME. It's not as efficient, but on a local LAN it shouldn't matter.

If I were you, tho, I'd put Linux on it (Fedora Core 3, perhaps, or Ubuntu) and cut the umbilical.

7. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Where Can I get this software..? I didn't even know it existed.. :)

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If you don't burn it ( :) ) or donate it, you could make it a digital media hub couldn't you? I'm not sure exactly how to go about configuring it for sharing and what not, but theoretically couldn't you add a massive hard drive and store all your songs and movies (or at least backed up songs and movies) that anyone on your network could access? That sounds like a nice plan to me...

10. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

sweet, remote desktop. How fast would that go? Would it be fast enough to play games over the network through remote desktop?

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no the graphics rendering is horrible and definitely not fast enough, but its good for occasional emergancy use, limited things, but it does sure beat virtual pc

12. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

up ram to 256 if you can and either put xp on it or dual boot with xp\me
    and use it to play old games.

13. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Thanks e, thats great. :) I am running XP Pro, and 10.4 so thats good. :D

14. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

15. slu thread starter macrumors 68000

slu

Thanks for all the great replies.

I don't think I am going to donate it just yet. I still think I can get some good use out of it.

I think I am going up the RAM to 256, add a 30 or 60 GB HDD and put XP Pro on there and make it a music/file server/remote windows box.

Then when I get bored with that setup, I'll use it as a linux box. Unless it is easy to make dual boot XP/some Linux distro machine. I never tried to setup a dual boot machine before.

16. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Thats really too bad, I was actually hoping I could put that stupid windows box somewhere far far away.

17. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

I second that too. or kick it a couple time and see how it reacts :D if not just run folding@home 24/7 on it and use it as file server too.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Since you are planning to keep your PC, how about helping put MacRumors Team with Folding. It is assisting Stamford University with gene research to help with cure of diseases. It will also help MacRumors.

Please see my Signature for further information. We would greatly assist you becoming a member. ;)

19. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

20. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

XP would take up almost half the hard drive. Not to mention how stinkin' slow XP would run. I say Donate It.