what should i do with this thing?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajroxit, Jan 12, 2007.

1. ajroxit macrumors newbie

i have an apple iMac Indigo w/ OS 9. something, 400mhz CPU, 256mb memory, external DVD burner, epson printer, 250 zip drive, USB hub with USB KB and mouse, plus a buttload of software. he even has the original box it came in. it is in like new condition. you know how crotchety old people get heh heh heh. uh, no offense to all you crotchety old people :D
    the questions i have:
    1)is it worth anything? if so, where would i sell it?
    2)what exactly can i do with it?
    3)is there any upgradability in it?

the problem is i am a windows guy {yeah, yeah, i have heard it all before :D } and i am helping out my father in law who has had it since 2000. he has macular degeneration and cant use it any more. a little direction would be wonderfull.
    thanks everyone,
    AJ

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

I'll give you $20 for it plus shipping.

Actually, I'd really like the Zip drive: $5 plus shipping for that WITH all cables/power supply bricks and any zip disks.

Send email via the message board profile (click on the user name). I'm in the south-eastern USA for shipping purposes.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

$20? That's pretty low. I think it's worth more like $50. Oh, and you could try craigslist.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Everything is offensive to us crotchety people, that's why we're crotchety.

As to the macular degeneration, if it is not too far along you could set back the resolution so that everything becomes bigger. If that is not a solution, and what you can get for it is not worth your trouble, consider donating it to some charity. Best wishes.

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Another possibility is to maybe add more memory, install OS X (Panther, maybe?) and have your father in law use some of the Accessibility features like zooming in, having the computer read him stuff, etc. Computers don't require vision for usability, and I hope this improves as time goes on.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I would go with the other recommendations people have made so far, but otherwise why not keep it for yourself and become familiar with Macs?

Tiger has pretty good accessibility options from what I hear, better than Panther.

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Didn't know if Indigo iMacs have firewire, that's why I said Panther. :)