What should I do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gallinger, Jul 19, 2006.

1. gallinger macrumors regular

Hey I was about to buy a Powermac G5 quad. But then i read that they are coming out with new G5's with the intel core duo. Should I still buy the quad or is it worth to wait about a month and get the new G5's?

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I definitely think you should wait a month to see what the new Power Macs/Mac Pros have to offer.

Just for the record the, the current PowerMacs use G5 processors, the actual computer is not called a G5. ;)

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

if anything else, waiting until the Mac Pros come out will mean that you'll get that G5 for cheaper than they are right now...

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

There will be no new G5s -- well, only in XBoxes.

The PowerMac will become the Mac Pro soon, but I'm iffy about first drafts of anything. The G5 quad is tested enough -- I'd spend my money there.

But that opens the larger question: Do you need that much processing power, or do you want that much processing power? How 'bout an iMac?

5. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

If you really need it now, buy it. But if you don't and you can wait, wait. (Typical answer for one of these questions) Personally, I think you should wait.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't buy a Power Mac G5 Quad now, go for a Mac Pro when they are released at WWDC in ~18 days. They will be well worth the wait! :D

7. gallinger thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. I do need all the processing power I can get because I am running pro tools M-Powered. so this is why I am getting the quad. or maybe the newer ones.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, either machine will give you plenty of power to be sure. But I know personally, if I bought a machine that expensive and a new one came out a couple of days later, I would not be very satisfied with my purchase. :eek: :)