What should I do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fud122, Oct 8, 2006.

  1. fud122 macrumors member

    Aug 24, 2006
    I currently have a Dell Precision M90 Core 2 Duo, 512 NVIDIA Quadro Fx which I use for some school/work projects and I have a black macbook (much more portable than the Dell!!) 2.0, 1GB which I like to use for basically everything which is not work related (photos, surfing, some movie editing, you know the the average stuff etc..) ...After a few weeks of using the macbook I am really tempted to sell both my laptops and get the more powerful 17" MBP but is it worth doing that? Or should I just keep my current configuration? I'd really hate to see the Dell go mostly because of the Core 2 Duo and the graphics card and high resolution screen and thats why I am having a really hard time deciding what to do. I like the idea of having one machine that does everything for me but as you can see I can't make up my mind. I appreciate your input and suggestions. Thanks
  2. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

    Apr 7, 2006
    get a 17" Core 2 Duo MBP

    You can put windows on it if you need to but i doubt anyone does NEED it
  3. Josias macrumors 68000


    Mar 10, 2006
    I would get a 15/17" MBP (Core 2 Duo) when it comes out.

    For shcool projects, you won't need a 512 MB Quadro, and otehrwise, the MBP will serve everything those two gives you. The 15" is extremely portable.;)
  4. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    Normally I'd suggest buying when you need. Which would be now as you want to start using it, but I really would wait until the core 2 duo MBPs come out, I'm guessing like the posters above me, nearly everyone will tell you to do this.
  5. fud122 thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 24, 2006
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Now I just hope the new MBPs come out soon!!! It's been taking forever.
  6. jTreu macrumors 6502

    May 20, 2006
    id sell both and get the 15" MPB with 256 vram and an external 20 or 23" screen, 17" is too big to really be portable imo.
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Sounds like a 17" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro (when they are released) would make a great computer for you.

    That said, I like jTreu's advice, I was going to get a 17" MBP myself, but I was won over by the added portability of the 15" version. :)
  8. fud122 thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 24, 2006
    I'm going to go to an Apple store and test out both the 15" and 17" MBPs. I think I'm going to prefer the 15"..it seems like a good compromise between size and portablity.

Share This Page