What should I get for my birthday?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, Aug 9, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I'm turning 18 next week and I have no idea what I want.

I'm going to be a senior this year, so college is right around the corner. But I have no idea where I'm going, so I don't know exactly what I would need at college. Are there a few things I can get that someone would need at pretty much any college? I'm getting a PB and a 23" Cinema Display for college. I have an eMac right now. I have speakers, printer, phone, external HD, usb hub, and a mighty mouse, so I can't think of anything else to get computer wise. Except...

...I will probably get an iSight for college, but I'm afraid an iSight 2 will come out before then. And plus, I wouldn't even use an iSight until college. And...

...I'm thinking about getting an EyeTV 200. That would have to be like my only gift though, because its so expensive. I see Amazon has it for $275 though...

Other than college stuff, I've basically have everything I want... an iPod, eMac, 13" TV, car... and I don't want to get clothes, because my parents pay for that anyways.

I've got about $300 that my parents usually spend on me, so I can't get anything too extravigant. So does anyone have any ideas?

2. wako macrumors 65816

take the 300 in cash... get a job... and then buy something extravagant

3. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha, thanks for the advice. I can't ask for cash, because I'll just end up getting something I didn't want.

I have a job and $13,000 saved up. I'd say a PB and a 23" display is pretty extravagant for an 18 year old. :rolleyes:

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Here's a second for the digital camera. Mine is my third arm. No... really... I had it surgically attached. :)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

digital camera would be cool and gets my vote

i know what im getting for my bday this year.... a dragon tattoo on my left shoulder so that it is 'perched' there, should be cool and im looking forward to it.... sorry just had to share :D

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You cant really get a good camera for 300$

I would advise you to get Canon 350D though (around 1000$) :p

8. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I disagree. I have a 350D, but I still keep a pocket camera around for times when even a small DSLR is too big. There are some great pocket digital cameras out for about $300, especially if you look for internet deals. Ones that come to mind include the Sony P200, Canon SD400, Fuji FZ10, Panasonic FZ5, etc.

9. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm. Well the family has a digital camera, so I can just use that. Although that one is really big... its not really meant for carrying around in a pocket. I like those new ones that are really thin, but I'm sure in a year, there'll be way better ones.

How about something non tech related that won't get outdated?

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Well my 17th b-day is on 8/27 and im askin for a Eye TV 500. Since your getting a HD monitor, that wouldnt be such a bad idea.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Small collection of literature classics - Shakespeare, Homer, Chaucer, etc. that you will carry with you and re-read throughout your life. Get your parents to write inscriptions on each that have some personal meaning of the books to them. Make it a project to research and select the titles for yourself. Suggested reference books: "The Western Canon", "How to Read (and Why)" (both by Harold Bloom) - I am sure there are many more from different viewpoints.

First Aid course through St. John's Ambulance or a community college

Community College course in comparative religion, conflict resolution, history of art, American Sign Language, something outside the normal curriculum that will stick with you throughout your life.

Donation to charity, like sponsoring a child through Foster Parents Plan

or all of the above (you can probably work out a schedule that should cover you for Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa and birthdays/name days for the next few years)

Face it, you and I both need more material goods like another hole in the head. Choose something that in 30 years from now, you will look back and say - "Yeah, my life has been better all these years because I did THAT - and I did it early enough in life to make a difference to the way I understood and lived my life so far."

12. wako macrumors 65816

Well I personally got a PB and a Dell 2005FPW display... I dont think its too extravagant, it just works perfectly

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yea maybe prices in USA are much lower then in Russia on cameras :(

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what about a subscription to a Mac magazine(s)
    bluetooth keyboard and mouse
    what about a contribution to mac rumors :p ;)

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

GarageBand Jam Packs
    M-Audio interface
    M-Audio Keyboard
    Microphone
    External F/W Hard Drive
    Digital Camera
    RAM
    BlueTooth headphones
    Speakers or a sound system
    A HUGE CD/DVD collection
    Wacom Tablet

Or just tell your parents that you feel better saving for your college expenses.

16. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Just curious but what is the date of your birthday....

mines the 15th :p :D ;)

17. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

It seems like you don't really need much in the way of "stuff" (but thats for you to decide). Therefore I would suggest some sort of "experience" type gift. I used to not understand spending on temporary experiences because I felt I was left with nothing. Now, it is more or less the other way around. I'd say ask for concert tickets, plane tickets, or even sports tickets. If it were me, I would definitely go for a day of heli-skiing (although that can often be more that $300). Even a years worth of netflix or magazine subscriptions might be more enjoyable than another toy.

18. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Repost Police

Sorry this is a repost. There was some guy 6, maybe 7 months ago, that asked the same question. You should search the archives for "birthday presents" before you post such a question.

19. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Either this is an incredibly failed joke, or you really need to ease up.

20. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Well, seeing as I'm using a Cube with a 17" CRT Apple Studio Display (the blueberry VGA version), I'd say that's pretty damn extravagant. Hopefully I'll upgrade soon; I was waiting for the new Minis/iBooks but they're oh so very underpowered compared to my already outdated gaming PC......

21. wako macrumors 65816

heh.... I bought the display when it was 360 though... so I didnt pay 700 bucks like the comparable ACD :)

22. kanpachi macrumors regular

If you want to get something for college, I would recommend getting a nice backpack or slingbag (Tumi). I think it would be a good investment for you since you'll be carrying around your PB-to-be and slingbag all day.

Or maybe you can buy 1 share of Google?

Otherwise, you can get an external hard-drive, or maybe get a vicious pet rat so no one even thinks about stealing your PB in college.

23. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I thought it was funny.

24. NicP macrumors 6502

i laughed

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree... maybe lessons of some sort. You can get an awesome Day-at-the-Track driving lessons (including skid pan-- as in, crazy drifts and whatnot on slick pavement) for about $200-250. Or skydiving... Maybe lessons in something you've always had a bit of an interest in-- I dunno, knitting?! Horsebackriding? Martial arts?