What should I know b4 installing HD's om Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JustGotAMAC, Sep 26, 2006.

1. JustGotAMAC macrumors newbie

Just got a few hard drives from NewEgg to upgrade the mac pro. Now the question is what should I look out for when doing install. Is there anything of importance that I may overlook? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

dont think so, i'm pretty sure the hard drive bays slide out easily.

3. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

It takes literally 2 seconds. I dont think there is really anything to overlook. I did it myself this morning, and it was simple as pie. Opened up the machine, pulled out the tray in bay 2, screwed the drive in slid it back into the machine, crank it up, went to disk utility and formatted.

4. JustGotAMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Since this will be going into bay 2 does that mean that I have to still reformat the HD?

5. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

When I powered up the comp, a message flashed on the screen about my drive not being formatted.

6. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

What technicolor said. It is so amazing and easy, you almost want to do it for fun. :) The screws are lightly glued in I believe, you can just push them through from the bottom when you pull the tray out. Line up the tray, line the screws up, then just screw them in.

7. knome macrumors 6502

knome

when you get the hard drives make sure you take out all the jumpers on the drives. I ordered one there and it came with the limitter on it, 1.5mbit to 3.0mbit YAY!

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The jumpers mean different things on different hard drives. Read the instructions before you go merrily pulling out jumpers, or you may possibly brick your shiny new HD.

Most of the time, getting the jumpers wrong will just mean less space or slower or it won't work till you correct the jumpers.