What Should The New Shuffles Look Like?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jay42, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Given recent introduction of the low-end nano, there has been some question about the future of the shuffle or even if it will continue to exist. What do you want to see in the 2g shuffle if we ever see one?

I would love to see integrated bluetooth. It would be great to have an "update" button that could wake your mac via BT and tell iTunes to update podcasts and transfer any new songs or episodes wirelessly. To me, this would be a great product. It would also be compatible with BT headphones but probably would not include them because of cost. There is also the possibility of a BT iPod being a FrontRow remote given the similarities between the shuffle and the Apple IR Remote.

What are your thoughts? I know there is a lot of people that wouldn't mind seeing the shuffle go, but I, for one, would be disappointed.

2. randas macrumors member

randas

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Would be cool to have BT for the shuffle for the reasons you mentioned (wireless updates, BT headphones, remote for FrontRow), but as I see it there are some problems with that...

1) You have to plug a shuffle into your computer to charge it, so wirelessly syncing would be a bit of a gimmick - not practical at all.

2) BT devices, despite the low cost of BT chips, seem to be very expensive, the shuffle has to be kept CHEAP to fit into the product like; <$100.

3) BT is pretty slow, not sure it would be very useful for moving 512+ mb of data at a reasonable speed.

What I would like to see is:

1) Smaller size, a little more streamlined. The current shuffle is pretty boxy and just a tad thick for my tastes. About the length of a big man's thumb and the thickness of a 5G iPod, width can stay the same it is now.

2) Lots of colors. They're just molded plastic, they should be available in a dozen shades or more.

3) A screen. I know the nano now has a super cheap 1gb version with a screen, but I think there is room for a screen in a new shuffle line. Not a full color deal, but an ePaper type display that shows a small graphic for battery life, and the name of the song/artist or a little custom message if it's off/on standby. Just a cheap little one line of text display with a small graphic on the edge.

4. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Hmm, I don't know exactly how big a 'big man's thumb' is, for some reason I can't imagine jobs ordering shuffles to be 'big man's thumb' size.

I do see a black version, but no screen. They have to make a profit on these and adding screens sets a precedent for the future, (they can't remove it later when they want to also add BT.

Seems logical to me, want a screen pay 50 more bucks. Other than a new form to keep things interesting I don't see much to do with it. Adding BT before the other models seems strange.

BTW, I'm just joking about your thumb comment, I couldn't resist.

5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

If they do continue with the shuffle, I think we'll just see a size reduction - probably just the height - and probably colours. BT would be a nice gimmick in the Shuffle but not worth the expense or loss in playback time. Plus there is no way Jobs would put a relatively high-end feature in the most basic line.

If BT/Wireless will happen, it will happen in the top of the range line first - whether thats an iPod or vPod we shall see...

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I think a good option would be an optional add on screen.

It would fit into the iPod kind of like the iTrip for the Nano does. And then it would cover one side, though possibly still over the same controls that side would normally offer.

I think that the screen isn't needed for most people, but if they wanted it, they could shell out the extra cash.

7. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

At the current prices, I really do think a screen would be a no-no...

8. Timepass macrumors 65816

I would like to see them add an easy way to have it be put on a keychain. I currently really like my flash drive I have on my keychain. I wouldnt mind have a music player USB flash drive replace it. It would need a good way to keep the cap from coming off and getting loss and all that jazz. But that would be pretty sweet

9. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Something a little different idea-wise...

A nano that lights up (like a white, Halloween glowstick) when certain button combinations are held down.

Not particularly useful.
    Not particularly practical.

Would look neat in the dark. :D

10. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

How bout this? 5 mins photoshop. thats why it sucks!

Attached Files:

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I've posted this elsewhere but I still really like this design:

Attached Files:

12. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I actually like that concept quite a bit!

13. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

If it had to have a screen, this would be the way to go. I agree.

I still like not having a screen personally. :)

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I have a shuffle and agree. The screen is not necessary. But if they're gonna add one...

15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If they do put a screen on, I'd like to see it protected. Perhaps do it Nintendo DS style or have a sliding cover.

16. Crikey macrumors 6502

I'd like it to be as small as my SanDisk Cruzer Micro. And with a good solid way to attach it to a keychain or lanyard. But most of all I want it to maintain its high audio quality.

Yeah, I know since it needs a battery it will never be as small as that, but it's a happy dream.

Crikey

17. cube macrumors G4

I hate xD. It should be SD (not mini or micro).

18. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Why exactly do you hate xD? Is it too fast for you? My only problem with it is that it is too danged expensive.

19. roadapple macrumors regular

I think Apple just called their own bluff

DAP that plays back your tunes at random, with no screen, come on now

20. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

i love it the way it is. smaller tho would be good. a better battery indicator. definitely no screen please.

21. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Since I use to own a shuffle (my wife got me a Nano for Christmas) I must add the one and only thing that I think needs changing on the shuffle:

Make the damn thing thin enough that I can use it on my iBook without unplugging my mouse!

Other than that, if you want a screen get a nano. ;) That is all..

22. cube macrumors G4

Yet another unnecessary, incompatible, low-capacity, slow, and expensive format. I refuse to buy stuff that use this or that other Memory Stick crap.

23. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The Shuffle will slowly die leaving us with just the Nano, iPod Video (current model) and the new REAL iPod video out in April.

Shadow

24. maya macrumors 68040

maya

It will look like the Nano. Oops this seems to be an old thread, either that or I can see into the future. ;) :)

25. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

The shuffle is great the way it is now. The only thing I'd like to see is a decrease in size; make it a little thinner and shorter.