What sites Are not accessable using a mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, May 31, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Im looking to make a switch from a pc.I was wondering if there are any sites that i cant have access to using safari .Thank you

2. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I just found out today (quite sadly) that I cannot use my future University's student resource website because it requires internet explorer version something or other or if u have a MAC Netscape version 4.75 and thats only available for mac os 9 and i downloaded it even so and it still doesn't work, GRR...

And tomorrow is the last day that I can take this online placement exam so thank god i can go to school tomorrow and use the PC's there for that or else i wouldn't be able to register for classes in the fall! :(

3. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

I'm a very long time mac user, and with the current version of Safari I have never had any problems accessing any site on the net. However if you do, there is always internet explorer, or firefox... and many other browsers that you may use. Safari is the best in my opinion though and it never gives me any problems.

Good job switching, tell your friends :)

4. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a way you can make the sites think safari is ie 6? i have heard that somewhere i think :confused:

5. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I've had some trouble accessing my school's sports website, www.Xavierhawks.com. I really want to get a mac but I still want to be able to use that site. When I try to go to sports and then any of the sports' pages.

6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Yes. Go to www.versiontracker.com and do a search for it.

JOD8FY

7. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Most websites that program plugins for ActiveX (IE 5-6) only work in windows. Maybe go to an Apple Store and try out the websites you use frequently?

8. theimacguy macrumors regular

theimacguy

Get Safari Enhancer and enable the debug menu. :cool:

9. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

to get the debug menu:
    enter the following in terminal while safari is not runnning

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

(if you want to get rid of the menu then change the 1 to a 0)

10. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

that site worked for me.... i have the new 10.3.4 update so maybe that is why.

11. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I tried going to this site in Safari and it seemed to work fine. All of the links under the sports page gave me 404's though, that's not a problem with Safari though is it?

12. Phazer80s macrumors regular

Another log for the fire

Or perhaps, another "to flush:"

LAUNCH

The page will appear, but the audio/video files are not accessible. You need to use a Windows version of IE or some outmoded version of Netscape in OS 9 (as per LaMerVipere's experience.) I read somewhere that the inaccessibility may be a political Yahoo! vs AOL thing. AOL plays nice with Apple, Yahoo! cuts off Launch from Apple users. Not sure about that theory. Whatever the case, the restriction is frustrating; Launch is a good site with a lot of fast-streaming content. Fun when you're on Windows.

Here's something odd: the homepage for the band The Eagles is on the Launch network. It contains a link advertising the band's music on the iTMS which in turn has a link to the band's Launch site. Still, the Launch site at large isn't Mac-friendly. I smell fish. :confused:

Anyone have any insight to share about Launch?

13. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow i Launch every night .I watch videos all the time there .Oh man this stinks.

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Have you tried to run the web site. I used a gov't student loan web site that said it was only for IE or Netscape and it ran perfectly using Safari. I even contacted them afterwards and they said it worked fine and they didn't realize it would so they have since updated I think the list of browsers. Safari didn't used to work with a couple of sites last year, but when the next revision came out the conflicts were fixed. I had sent apple feedback using the feedback command.

I say go for it, you can always use IE, firefox,etc if needed or use the hack.
    Johnny

15. noel4r macrumors 6502a

my.yahoo.com and my.msn.com (both work fine under Camino)

16. sockeatingdryer macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

Gmail DOES work

Actually, though it says that Safari 'doesn't meet requirements,' it does work with Java 1.4.2 (and Safari 1.2.2 doesn't hurt, but not needed). I updated Java and it worked perfectly. In the rare case (1/50) that it doesn't work after entering information, just refresh.

Other than that, no problems.

17. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    That one does suck, especially if you wanna watch a video.. and im not in that much of a hurry to watch a video on Launch, that I download Netscape 4.7 just to watch.

18. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Websites that are written according to standards will be perfectly well behaved in Safari. Unfortunately, IE breaks so many standards that a lot of programmers adapt their code to work with IE. That's why you'll get the odd site that misbehaves in Safari. Safari is a lot more compatible now though--and you have Firefox (and even IE if you must) as a backup for that one in a thousand site that Safari won't show--I've found the debug menu still doesn't get me out of some rough spots.

19. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I got it to work with Omniweb set to Netscape 4.7 (safari's settings dont stick) but Windows Monkey Player says the "The playlist format isn't recognized..." thanks Microsoft! Where do you wanna go today?

20. kjwebb macrumors regular

WebCT based sites don't work in Safari but work in IE on the mac.

21. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

my.yahoo.com works fine under Safari in 10.3.4....

22. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've used WebCT in Safari.

23. James L macrumors 6502a

Wierd... I am taking a course right now in WebCT and it works fine in Safari.

The poster above has it right though. Web design standards as per the W3, ECMA, etc are platform and browser independent. If the site is coded properly it doesn't matter what you use to view it.

Having said that, M$ throws in a ton of proprietary crap into IE, and on top of that doesn't support web standards properly. The end result is people who do not know how to code web pages properly use this proprietary code and ruin it for the rest of the peope who realize IE is crap and want to use a real browser.

Cheers,

James

24. sixteen macrumors newbie

sixteen

The site is very poorly designed and not well thought out at all.

They could start by rearranging the structure of the site. It might not hurt to ditch the frames, either.

If this thing is working "correctly" in MSIE on Windows, either it's been written to MSIE's bugs OR MSIE is doing a "better" job or rendering a design that needs a serious rethink.

Maybe both.

25. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

When I was buying my last car I had an issue with viewing rover.co.uk, worked fine in IE though....