Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I am interested with PPC 970 socket types for upgrading various computers.
Does anyone know the socket used by the PPC 970, 970FX, 970MP, and 970 GX? Please do not ask why; that does not concern you.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
It concerns me deeply - both the question, and that you believe that it is some sort of socketed CPU.

If you can replace them without soldering, then it is a socket. The socket must obviously different between some models, or a 2003 power mac would be upgradeable to a late 2005.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Oh.
Is it is an OpenFirmware bootrom?

OpenFirmware is in the bootrom. The bootrom loads before OpenFirmware. It is not something that can be changed without physically swapping two chips on the logicboard by soldering them.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
OpenFirmware is in the bootrom. The bootrom loads before OpenFirmware. It is not something that can be changed without physically swapping two chips on the logicboard by soldering them.

Next Thread: How do I solder a bootrom onto a G5 motherboard.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

A motherboard flash would not solve this issue?
Not saying it would be easy, just in theory.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A motherboard flash would not solve this issue?
Not saying it would be easy, just in theory.

You'd still have the problem of the socket mismatch. And a flash won't work. Apple never released a tool for it or a blank state bootrom for the G5.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Not sure about this at all, but when someone resets the NVRAM it resets the openfirmware and bootrom which is stores in NVRAM. So is NVRAM resetting flashing the motherboard?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It resets OpenFirmware. The bootrom is read only, except to Apple's special tools. Apple has never released any bootrom updates for a G5, thus there is no way to reset or write a bootrom on a G5. Resetting the NVRAM/PRAM is not flashing the logicboard because the bootrom is not erased and overwritten with new programming from a source.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Not sure about this at all, but when someone resets the NVRAM it resets the openfirmware and bootrom which is stores in NVRAM. So is NVRAM resetting flashing the motherboard?

I think you'd have troubles resetting NVRAM on a PowerPC Mac.

If you were to reset the PRAM, that doesn't change the compatibility of the BootROM. It does nothing to it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think you'd have troubles resetting NVRAM on a PowerPC Mac.

It isn't that hard to reset the NVRAM on a PowerPC machine. Just press and hold Command-Option-P-R at boot and wait for the second chime. Or boot into OpenFirmware and enter the commands reset-nvram and reset-all to reset it.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It isn't that hard to reset the NVRAM on a PowerPC machine. Just press and hold Command-Option-P-R at boot and wait for the second chime. Or boot into OpenFirmware and enter the commands reset-nvram and reset-all to reset it.

I thought that NVRAM = Intel(l), PRAM = PowerPC.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It is strangely worded, but it's telling you where the listed stuff if stored. The stuff hasn't changed, just where it's stored. If you expand the first section, you'll see instructions on how to clear the NVRAM in OpenFirmware.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It is strangely worded, but it's telling you where the listed stuff if stored. The stuff hasn't changed, just where it's stored. If you expand the first section, you'll see instructions on how to clear the NVRAM in OpenFirmware.

OK, I see now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.