What software comes with G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by imback, Oct 15, 2004.

1. imback macrumors newbie

I'm about to have my first apple experince. Ive ordered the G5 17" 1.8 from apple.com

I read that you get ivideo, i music, garage band etc included. What other sooftware do you get though? word processor,power point etc?

Cheers

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

3. imback thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, sorry I should have said imac - told you I was new :D

Thanks for the link. But it dooesnt give details of word processor etc. :confused:

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

It sounds like the iMac comes with Appleworks, Apple's word processor. I don't know how to directly link to the Apple Store, so just search for Appleworks.

You can also pick up Microsoft Office for Mac ($150 / student, $400 otherwise), OpenOffice (free) or any number of other word processors.

5. Devie macrumors 6502a

Software:
    iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand), AppleWorks, Quicken 2004 for Mac, World Book 2004 Edition, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive and Apple Hardware Test

From apple.com/imac's tech specs page...

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

All macs also come with Textedit, which offers basic word processing that might be plenty for your needs. It can even open MS word documents.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

The iMac G5 comes with AppleWorks, which is a bit overdue for an upgrade, but still works for most people. It allows for word processing, and also lets you create spreadsheets, presentations, and databases.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Your iMac will come well-equipped. There isn't that much more you have to buy yourself, it just depends on what you do. I recommend Office (but I could only afford it because I am a student) and Photoshop Elements 2.0 for a cheap image-editing solution based on the industry standard Photoshop.

9. imback thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers johnny. I'll definitely need Office for powerpoint. The Mrs is a student doing her PGCE so I'm sure that she will qualify for the discount.

If I make a powerpoint presentation on mac and save it, will it run on an ordinary laptop?

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes it will, because the Mac and PC versions use the same file formats. However, generally try to display it on a Mac (or test out on a PC before the presentation) because the Mac version has much better effects and stuff, like cube transitions and cross dissolves. My experience is that someone else's PC doesn't always have the fonts that you used and the presentation ends up running with Arial all over it.

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Be sure to use a font that is common in Windows, like Times New Roman (not Times), Arial, Courier New (not Courier).. You should probably check a pc and write down the standard fonts.