What Software Do I Need To Burn Ps2 and XBox Games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by cdubb213, Jun 25, 2005.

1. cdubb213 macrumors member

Jun 25, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I am new to a mac, so I need to know what are the best softwares to burn DVD's and PS2 and XBOX games. I'm pretty impressed with my new iMac G5 I've had no problems so far. It's good to know if I have any problems I could rely on this forum to help me out. Thank You All!
  2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Are you referring to games/DVDs you own and want to make a legal back-up of, or illegal games/DVDs? The answer to your question depends on this. :cool:
  3. cdubb213 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 25, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm referring to DVD/Games I already own, I just need to make a back up . You can also tell me the other way if you want. Thank you!
  4. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    Toast, thats all. You can just make straght copyies.

But, you have to modify your console to get it to read the burnt discs. For this the options are:
    1. Mod chip, expensive and risky. They cost almost as much as the console and you have to solder 20 or 30 very tiny wires to the logic board. If you have some one else do it it will cost as much or more than the console itself.

2. Modify the housing, for ps2 this means buying a flip top case. After installing the fliptop case you still need to use a special swap disc. its a disc you boot up from then replace with your burned game. This method is a pain in the ass. And does not work all the time.

Also dual layer games can not by copied at all.

In the end it is really, really not worth it.
  5. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    LOL - I'm glad I don't get my mod chips from the same place you do! Before I sold it I modded my XBox with an executer 2 and a 120 GB HDD it cost no where near the price of an XBox.

I really wish consoles didn't have region encoding on them, I've only ever modded consoles to play Japanese Imports and it's a lot of work for the sake of playing a game I should be able to play anyway. Kind of like region encoding on DVDs very very dodgy IMHO!
  6. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    The PS2 is notoriously difficult to mod. However, there are many solderless mod chips available for the xbox, and most work no matter what version of the console you have. The toughest part is the BIOS. Mod chips come with a bogus BIOS that must be flashed to operate. It must be exactly 1024 bytes, although the actual working part is far less than that. If you can get past this part, you're home free.

Check out http://www.xbox-scene.com for more info.
  7. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Search around for the PS2 with Messiah 2 chip pre-installed. My brother got one, and it was just slightly more expensive than the regular PS2. And it's a great chip.

8. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Why is that? I have a 2.4x DL burner with some DL discs from Verbatim.