What software for iMac DV400?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac the knife, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Mac the knife macrumors member

Before we get into the"Dude just get a new one" thing, I am typing this on my 20" intel iMac. I picked up the old one to give to my dad for internet use. It is a 400Mhz DV with 500M of RAM. It has no operating system on it. I would like to put 10.3 on it. What type disk do I need? Does it have to be an "off the shelf" version or would a disk set from the likes of say an eMac work on this computer? Sorry if this is a dumb question as this 20" is my first Mac and I know very little about how Apple OS works on older machines.

Thank you.

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Normally the OS install disks that come with a new Mac will on install on that model, so you'd need a retail copy. I have Tiger installed, and previously had Panther on one, and it runs just fine.

If possible, look at upgrading the RAM - 512 is useable but 768 or 1GB would be even better.

And given the amount of space OSX uses, the stock hard drive may be on the small side. Relatively easy to upgrade too tho, and it will run quieter.

It's possible that the iMac will need the firmware update to run OSX, which unfortunately, requires OS9 to be installed in order to install it..

Lots of info here

3. Mac the knife thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I do have an 80Gig drive I can put in. The firmware is up to date already. Retail it is then.