What software should I buy to protect my Mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dferigmu, Oct 16, 2004.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I'm buying a new iMac with Applecare, but I also want to get some security software just to be safe. I know there's no spyware for but I do want to get antivirus and utilities software.

Which ones do you guys suggest? I'll probably go with Norton for antivirus, but they don't make utilites for Mac any more. What about Diskwarrior?

Feel free to make a small list of stuff you would suggest me to buy. I would really appreciate it!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Personally, I wouldn't worry about virus protection for your Mac.

It may sound odd but I've never, ever had a virus on my machine in over 12 years of using Macs. I've never bothered with it and realistically, I don't think any exist...

If you're concerned about spreading PC viruses unwittingly to other PC users, then that may be another issue but a pretty slim chance as most viruses depend on Windows to proliferate...

However, I am paranoid about backing-up my data (once bitten...).
    I back-up my entire home folder to another HD daily.
    This may be a better investment -- an external HD with a back-up utility e.g. Silverkeeper (it's free)

Techtools Pro 4 is an outstanding utility, I reckon.

3. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there software to make backing-up easier? How do you back-up?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As mentioned before, download Silverkeeper here (it's free).
    www.lacie.com/silverkeeper

Buy yourself an external hard-drive (pref Firewire) and use this little program to back up your home folder...

You will need at least OS 10.2.8 to run it, though.

Any really valuable data should also be burnt onto CD or DVD and stored elsewhere away from your Mac.

eg. work, school, trusted friends or family

5. Gee macrumors 65816

The program Backup comes free with a .Mac account. Seems pretty good, although I've not had cause to try a restore yet....

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Diskwarrior is a great program that has saved many people's data...well worth the investment. TechTool is also very good....personally I think having both is a good idea - better safe than sorry. Backing up can be a simple or as complicated as you want it to be. As mentioned above Silverkeeper is a decent tool for basic backups and it is free - check it out and see if it suits your needs. You can also go do a search on Version Tracker for back up programs and read the comments for each....and search the forums here too as backing up (and what pgm to use) has been covered many times.....oh yeah!

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

One pice of back up software I really like is Carbon Copy Cloner. Very easy to use, and the hard drive that you copy you data to is bootable. :cool:

Antivirus programs on a Mac are unless, unless your trying to stop spreading it to another computer you have or something.

As for safety, I'd just say turn on your fire wall in your System Preferences, and close all unnecessary ports. (they should be closed to start with anyways)

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have an external OWC Mercury Elite firewire HD. My understanding is that it automatically updates. Is this true and is it as good as the above two programs? Is it also bootable?

9. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I would suggest a Dot Mac account. You will get Virex Anti-Virus software, Backup which is Apples small but easy to use backup software, an email address, and a website where you can post movies or photos using the iApps. And much, much more. Since you are getting a new Mac, I believe you can get a discount on a Dot Mac subscription. www.mac.com is the website where you can read all about it.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a good tool, but its more of a disk cloner than a backup only certain files I tell you too.

www.Versiontracker.com is a great place to find any software you want. The example I like to use is, "iTune alarm clock". I was going to put a link, but versiontracker.com seems to be having a little difficulty today.