What software should I buy to protect my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dferigmu, Oct 16, 2004.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I'm buying a new iMac with Applecare, but I also want to get some security software just to be safe. I know there's no spyware for but I do want to get antivirus and utilities software.

Which ones do you guys suggest? I'll probably go with Norton for antivirus, but they don't make utilites for Mac any more. What about Diskwarrior?

Feel free to make a small list of stuff you would suggest me to buy. I would really appreciate it!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Best not double-post new threads, some people around here may object to it.

For what it's worth, I've offered my 2 cents in the other one...

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

you would be wasting your muney getting anti virus software. i would buy system optimiser x instead to do all the permission repairs, daily weekly and monthly tasks etc

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

why spend money when you can get software that does this for free? buying antivirus software would also be a waste of money. common sense is the ultimate protection.

if you don't know who sent you an e-mail, don't open the attachments. if you don't know whether or not you're downloading from a reputable source, don't download. if you're using P2P apps, make sure the file has the right file type and is of sufficient size (if you're going for an mp3 and it's 74k, guess what, it's not an mp3, or if it is, it's corrupt and not worth your time anyways).

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well you dont have to buy system optimiser as you can use it you just get an annoying pop up at the beginning. i havent bought it but if he is wanting to spend money he might as well pay for it!

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

use Mac OS X's built in firewall and repair permissions useing disk utility every now and again.

if your feeling really paranoid you could turn on filevault.

dont bother with 3rd party stuff it screws up more than it fixes, thats why norton stopped making mac software because Mac OS X rarely go's wrong and if it dose repairing permissions fixes it 99% of the time.

honestly dont bother pc users will call you insane.

(once i posted my ip address on a hacking forum and told them to do there worst, nothing happened)

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Well,
    in answer to your question, if you simply must get anti-virus (which I also agree is unnecessary), you could get Apple's .Mac and get the email and website, and they also include an anti-virus and backup program. I've heard good things.

Lee Tom

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the only reason you would have use for this anti virus program is if you pass on allot of email attachments.

then you are passing viruses on even if they do not effect you, even then it's the pc users responsibility.

9. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Personally, I'd invest in a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) first and foremost. They're actually fairly inexpensive now. I'm not talking about just a surge protector, but something that will keep power on long enough to do a 'nice' shutdown in case of a power outage. APC makes some very good backup power supplies and it's operation is integrated into OS X. I love mine and it's kept me from losing data on a number of occasions!

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Just look around these forums for general mac maintenance. You don't need Anti Virus stuff on a Mac.

11. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

You sound to have excess money.. Spend it on RAM.. or bigger harddrive... at least they'll bring some satisfaction... :rolleyes:

12. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Hectors talks right..

Everyday, I talk to a great number of people about why they should be throwing their ugly bulky *virus-loaded* beige PC chaisises away and why they should be buying a mac.. if they dont listen to me, thats all I will do to protect them... :cool:

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have no protection other then my airport and i have not had one problem yet.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I highly recommend DiskWarrior. It saved a PowerMac that had serious directory damage. Other than that, the built-in firewall in Mac OS X is all I need. (I'm a .Mac subscriber, but I don't use Virex, the anti-virus software availabe to .Mac subscribers for free.)

15. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

buy a handgun and a doberman. all the protection your mac should need.

16. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Absolutely. DiskWarrior is excellent - well worth the price and then some. It's saved my butt multiple times when Apple's default utilities gave up. I'm surprised Apple hasn't tried to buy it and make it a default part of OS X, because it's so much better than fsck/Disk Utility. No Mac should be without it!

As for anything else, I agree - default firewall and a little helping of common sense are about all you need. I have heard good things about Little Snitch but haven't bothered with it myself. And from what I've heard, most other 3rd party utilties aren't worth the trouble. Norton in particular seems to have a pretty bad reputation with their Mac stuff.