What software to buy with new PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazycamel01, Jul 15, 2004.

1. crazycamel01 macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2004

I have been doing a lot of research and waiting, finally think I found the best price and timing for my purchase. I'm getting stock 12" PB w/ 3 years AppleCare and 15gb iPod for $1568 total including tax-free weekend purchasing and cram&jam rebate and special university pricing above the normal education discount. Thats an $600+ savings over the retail price for this combo, so I think I got a great deal (I could even sell the iPod for more savings but I think I will keep it).

Anyways, what software should I purchase to start off with? My school has Mac Office for I think less than $100, so I will probably pick this up... Is it worth it? What other base software that is not included should I get? Is Keynote worth it for presentations or should I stick to Powerpoint on PC?

Using this computer for E-school stuff, so connecting to Unix systems and writing up reports (sometimes with Latex), etc. Also the usual email/web surfing during class, along with managing my music and video collection.

*Side question: I've always connected to computer clusters with Windows using XWin software, is the X software already incorporated within my PB operating system (I heard it is unix based) or do I need to download something like XWin in order to run xemacs and other software remotely? Stupid question but never owned a Mac.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Office 2004 would be a great addition.

Anything else we would need to know what your studies will be, and what other things you'll want to use the computer for.
  3. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2003
    Apple has an x11 client on their install dvd, or as a free download at their site.

Keynote is a very nice program- with the cube transitions, graphs, etc., I find everyone 'oohing and aahing' over the presentations that I make. Also, Powerpoint is included in Office for Mac, so you dont have to get keynote if you don't want to.

The iLife apps are very good for keeping your music and photo collections together, and with iMovie you can make your own movies. You can organize your videos in the Mac Os X Finder.

Office:Mac is essential for compatibility between windows and mac, because most people on windows use word. Buy it, you'll be glad you did.

Congratulations on your powerbook!

4. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    Mac office (or more explicitly word and excel) for sure, I actually quite like it strangely until it crashes on me :rolleyes:. As for Keynote, I really like it but it depends on whether it is worth it for you, if you make a lot of presentations I would say it's worth it if its one or two a year I wouldn't be so sure.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the cluster stuff. Other things to get some kind of image manipulation is good, photoshop elements will probably cover your needs unless you can get the full-blown version cheap through college. Plus Synergy €5 shareware and AdiumX free :)
  5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    Get Microsoft Office 2004, its the only software that apple has nothing to offer insted. Anything else you dont reallt need unless your study req's it.
  6. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    If you can afford it, I'd recommend Adobe Creative Suite CS ... Journey Ed (www.journeyed.com) has it for about $400 USD and AcademicSuperstore (www.academicsuperstore.com) has it for about $380. The only reason I mention this is because you'd pay almost $300 for an academic version of Photoshop alone (Retail non-academic: ~$700.. Plus you get Acrobat which isnt necessary because PDF creation is native to OS X, but it should add some nice tools in addition to the built-in ones.

Also included are GoLive, a web design program, InDesign , a page-layout program, and Illustrator, for more graphics. Normally this suite runs over a grand, but with a student discount, you get the full versions of all the programs at about 1/3 of the cost.

Just something to consider...