What sort of microphone and sofeware do I need to record my voice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elliotmason, Nov 24, 2006.

1. elliotmason macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need to make a 45 minute recording of a speech I will be making and am gonna put it on my ipod so I can listen to myself/learn it a bit.

So I have a Mac G4 an old PC mike from years ago and I downloaded some sofeware from xhead to achive this but can't make it all work.

Am I plugging it in the wrong hole? Do I need a newer mike? Is there some better/easier sofeware I can utilise?

Thanks for your help.

E

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Does you mac have a line in port? Then you should be able to record with Audacity, or just iMovie.

3. elliotmason thread starter macrumors newbie

erm not sure, I have a G4. It has a hole that my 3mm (i think) mic fit into but can record will try software you suggest first though.

thanks

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah but that could be a headpone port (they are the same size), try seeing if you can listen to music with it first.

EDIT, if you have headphones and go to System Preferences==>Sound==>Input and tap headphones to the Line-In socket it will register on the "Input Level" graph, as with a microphone, if you talk.

5. elliotmason thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so it has two holes three actually but the one at the very bottom is for speakers. I have some of those mac pro jobbies and the hole is smaller.

Above that are two holes (ports whatever) one with a >o< symbol which I have taken to mean input. the other has D<<< which I believe is a speaker hole.

Erm, so is the >o< one an "in line" one as you suggested I need or am I lacking one of those do you think?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Same logo for line in on my Macbook, so almost certainly, reread my previous post for some more hints as I edited it.

7. elliotmason thread starter macrumors newbie

Good problem solving my friend.

Microphone at fault!

ipod headphones register a tap, old mic does not. need new mic!

I'll have a look on ebay.

thanks for the help.