What speakers to buy any thoughts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacNut, Jan 3, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have narrowed my search to 2 speaker systems the Creative L3450's or Altec Lansing VS4121's, anybody own any of those systems or what are your thoughts on those companys.

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i've had 3 pairs of altec lansings 2 were 2.1 the other was just 2 speakers, never had any problems with any of them and they're pretty good for the price

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

For speakers in that price range, I'd highly recommend you check these out. I bought a pair last month, and I think they sound terrific. If you have a Circuit City near you, you can check them out there--they sell them.

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Definitely go with the I-Trigue system. I am considered by many of my friends to be a total audiophile and I can tell you that after listening to the 3450s I was thoroughly impressed. The mid and high ranges were crisp and clear and the bass was on the mark. However, if you want pure loudness then go with MattG's suggestion as the wattage is significantly larger.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not looking for loudness but clear crisp sound with the ability to play a DVD and hear a nice low end

6. skymac macrumors member

I've been thinking about getting those(either those or refurb HK SS) ones so its good to know that they have good sound.

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

D Don't like Mulit media speakers,

Save your pennies and buy yourself a set of good floor standing speakers and a nice amp.

8. thetman macrumors member

jbl creatures in white, we have them hooked up to the demo ipod at compusa where i work and beofre we open sometimes well blast the music will prepping the storethey sound plnty crisp and clear even far away in a place like that

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

JBL Creatures

I don't usually like multi-media speakers, but I got these for X-mas and they're really nice, good sound range, clean bass, plus the right satelite speaker has touch-sensitive volume buttons. And they look cool.
    I know the original poster was looking at two different brands, but these are also very nice.

Just my .02.

10. ezkimo macrumors regular

I agree with Mattg...the Klipsch speakers are the awesome...really good sound and loudness etc...

11. BJNY macrumors regular

How is the 3500 different, just in color?

12. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Ah, we're talking about putting them onto a computer table and sitting less then 3' away, not filling a living room. An amp won't look very slick as a platform under a G5 with 3' tall towers 5 feet away at the end of the desk. :p

13. kjdenison macrumors 6502

Apple Pro Speakers

Apple Pro Speakers

Attached Files:

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

they look like trash cans

those are the ugliest things i have ever seen plus my experience with Apple Pros is that they distort easily

15. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

MacNut,

I've got the Creative 3450's speakers on a desktop in a corner and the subw on the floor beneath--it's a pleasing speaker system, small, looks nice, sounds good. In this placement there is a definite "soundstage." They have performed well for what they are on a variety of music, down to, and not including rap. :p

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

good to hear

Those speakers right not are becoming my choice, its hard to listen to Ozzy on small PB speakers, just wondering how they do watching a DVD

17. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Creative I-Trigue 3450

You wonder how they will do with a dvd--I took a look through the collection and came up with one for a speaker test for you. It's a dvd recording of of Bach organ pieces in 48K/24 bit non compressed stereo (and it had a spectacular video image, too.) The little speakers sounded good, plenty of low end. I could not make them distort even with getting the low end uncomfortably boosted. We won't have to dust this room for a while. I can't say they are the crispest, clearest, most wonderful sounding speakers I've ever heard, but for their size and price they are a good value in small desktop speakers.

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Thanks that is a good test

Im going to do one more shop around tonight and hopefully The Apple Store will have a pair in stock if I decide on the 3450's

19. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I have energy C5's (www.energy-spearkers.com,) that sit next to my desk, and a amp stack that sit's next to my computer (NAD AMP, Denon CD Player, Yamaha Tape deck.) Not only do they sound fantastic, but they're a great place to store my printer and clock radio. You should have you G5 tower on the floor anyway, not on your desk.

20. Bmode macrumors regular

All these suggestions and no one has mentioned M&K speakers. They are without a doubt, the best speakers I've heard in years without digging really deep in the pocket. I worked beside a Pro-installer for a year, and out of all the systems I heard, M&K speakers killed the competition(no I don't work for M&K) Just make sure you have a decent amp to power them like, Dennon, Yamaha, Rotel, Marantz, B&K, even a Hi-End Sony integrated receiver sounded good with M&K. Also, JBL monitors are solid for two-way playback. Stay away from Circuit City, Best Buy or any other big chain store, the sales people are usually doltish.

21. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Thats all good but a little over kill for a computer setup

22. Bmode macrumors regular

I don't feel that way at all. I generate some fantastic CD's on my Mac, and I need proper sound reproduction. Some people take their music very seriously. I know I do. So many individuals out there buy cheap little computer speakers, and they get cheap little sound. They are missing so much musical information it's unbelievable! Why? Because they don't know any better.

There is a good medium out there for desktop monitors that produce decent quality, but you won't get it from a mini-jack connection to 10-watt speakers. Using some sort of amp/receiver to a pair of decent monitors is a must for the respected Apple ear. I think Manitoubalck has got it right! Cheers!

23. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't get me wrong, I consider myself to be an audiofile thats why I have a nice system in my livingroom. But im not looking for extremes right not for my PowerBook. When i eventually get a G5 than i will seriously consider an over the top system, but for right now i want something portable yet clear sounding that i can keep on my desk to be able to hear music and DVD's. Im not looking to do expert music editing as i need to save my money for other things that i need first.

24. Bmode macrumors regular

I hear ya. Good luck with all your endeavors, however you won't find many CLEAR sounding speakers without a spending a little dough. Trust me on this one, cheers!

25. Bmode macrumors regular

I hear ya. Good luck with all your endeavors, however you won't find many CLEAR sounding speakers without spending a little dough. Trust me on this one, cheers!