What speakers to buy for a MAC MINI

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Acehigh, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    I was thinikng about getting Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2 notice they are are $115 on amazon or should i get something else.
  2. isgoed macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2003
  3. Blong macrumors member

Mar 14, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Try JBL creature speakers ...

I recently bought some JBL creature speakers and they look pretty cool. I suppose the harmon kardon soundsticks look cool too, but I don't like how they stick up so high.

I am using the creature speakers with my iBook. I don't need to fill heaps of space with sound and find them totally adequate. If I want more sound, I just set iTunes to multiple speakers and use my stereo as well (via Air Tunes).

The soundsticks will probably be louder, but is your ear good enough to pick the quality difference?

I was lucky enough to get the creature speakers for 25% off their normal price in Melbourne, so really, it was almost a no-brainer - i.e. cheap enough to unplug and use as a back-up or portable set somewhere if required if I didn't really like them.

Just my experience, hope it helps a bit.

4. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2006
    I have the Logitech X-230 and get amazing sound, sure it doesn't really match my MBP that well, but they are only $36.99 on Amazon (although I got them for $30 at Circuit City with a rebate awhile back). I'd head over to Epinions.com and check out some of the reviews there for further research.
  5. munckee macrumors 65816

Oct 27, 2005
    I'm in the same boat. Need speakers for a small room. They'll share their time between my powerbook and my G3 tower.

I was originally hoping to keep it to around $50 or less, but after reading some reviews, I'm considering jumping up to the Logitech Z-4i for $72. Granted, if I can find some that are cheaper without a big loss in quality (I'm not an audiophile at all; I just want to be able to hear my music), I'm game.

EDIT: Anyone know the difference between the Z-4 and the Z-4i? Just the color or is there something else I'm missing?
  6. lurcher macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2004
    I can vouch for the Creatures. Got mine for crimbo and am well impressed with the quality. Look cool too, whereas I thought the soundsticks looked naff and outdated now. They probably have the edge on sound but are over twice as much money.
  7. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    tally one vote...

i have the Harman/kardon soundsticks

they are good 'nuff
    i'm positive there are MANY other threads/discussions on this topic

as i am not some sort of 'audio-phile'
    i cannot attest to the 'amazing-ness' of the speakers
    but i can tell you they are good

good 'nuff for music, movies, machine noises...etc
    w/ the sub they provide plenty of 'umpf
    and plenty of sound to fill the various rooms i've had them in over the years
    the current room is about 12 x 15
  8. cmassage macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Logitech Speakers are fantastic

I now have several pair os Logitech speakers and use them as my main sound for the house. X-230, Z-340 and one other set that I forget the model of, but you can usually get them for under 50 bucks and to my ears, sound as good as the several hundred dollar speakers. Of course my ears are older than many and perhaps younger ears could hear a difference.

One set is plugged into my Airport Express for me to access from my MBP, another set for the TV, a 3rd set in another office. Logitech rocks.
  9. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
    id go with a nice set of bose 201s..... jk thats what i bump to
  10. vakej macrumors member

Mar 13, 2006

I actually own a imac, and just purchased the klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers. These speakers have gotten great reviews!!

If you go to best buy, they'll run you $150. I purchased them from ebay, and got them for $50. :D :)
  11. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    Waupun, WI
    Don't bother with these piddling low power systems
    from Logitech that you are thinking about. You can
    get the Logitech z2300s for maybe a hundred bucks
    or even less, and those are THX certified and throw
    around more bass than you'd ever expect.
  12. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2002
    I use a $99 refurb airport express and my 800w home stereo with 5 speakers and subwoofer out, which is better than any of these speakers in implementation/value/flexibility. IMO.
  13. seabass069 macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2005
    Buy the Klipsch 2.1 speakers. They are clean and loud. I have had mine for 4 years and they still rock. Plus, there not that expensive.
  14. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Apr 29, 2003
    Either a pair of A'Diva's by Anthony Gallo, and hook it up with a good quality amp, a NAD C320BEE is great, and not expensive, they are perfectly round 5" spheres with all stainless steel construction and very very good imaging, you may need an additional subwoofer.

OR, a pair of the BeoLab 4000's, though that can get expensive if you buy new, but they are self powered and in all anodized aluminum.

Either way, these both sets are way better than standard computer speakers which are very watered down, injection moulded plastic technologies from higher end equipments.
  15. dmcelroy macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2002
    Atlantic Technologies

I've been using a set of Atlantic Technology's multimedia speakers for about 5 years now. They offer room shaking bass and great response from the satellites.
  16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    There are 634 earlier threads asking about speakers. Let me introduce you to the search function.

Having a fracked up day at work