What speakers to Get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skymac, Dec 31, 2003.

1. skymac macrumors member

So i received about 250 dollars canadian during the holidays and will be putting most if not all of it on a new set of speakers for my powerbook, the built in speakers dont cut it and my current external speakers are awful. Anyways i've been looking at the JBL creatures wich are
    200CAD plus taax or 150 plus taxe as a refurb or the JBL invaders wich at 230 CAD seem to be a better bang for the buck of the two since its 4.1 and not 2.1 and each satellites has two speakers in it. Anyway if anyone has advice on for my purchase it would be very helpful and i'd also like to know of the sound quality of the two. i would like to have my desicion made in about 2 weeks or so.Also if anyone has any other suggestions for speakers it would be also very helpful(remember 150-275CAD)

2. MacMumm macrumors regular

I looked for speakers for my computer for quite some time. I mainly listen to music, and watch DVD's. I think the debate would be is if you need the surround speakers, or not. I purchased the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and love them. I have had them over a year, and I still have yet to find anything that sounds as good. They are solid black, and a bit larger than some speakers, but they make up for it in sound. The satellites have great clarity, and the sub has enough bass to satisfy everybody.

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Second Klipsch's Promedia lineup. I've got 2 2.1's setup to round out a 4.2 system. I've got four of their SWS subs daisychained so I rock some plaster offa ceilings.

4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

He He another Speaker Thread;)

I'm a big repeat very big fan of 2.0 Stereo sound. As many here know I have an NAD amp, with Energy C5 floor standing speakers. However these are unfortunatly out of your price range.

Cambridge sound works, LogiTech, boston acustics, etc all make great computer speaker packages, wheather it be 2.1 or 5.1. If you wich to listen to music for the most part I recomend 2.0 or 2.1 systems, as you will recieve a better sound. If howeve you have a home entertainment system I recomend a $2.50 cable from your local electronics store.

P.S: a 4.1/5.1 system will be of little use when you only have a headphone jack to connect to you speaker system.

5. skymac thread starter macrumors member

So, the klipsh por media 2.1's seem to be pretty populare and appear to be in my $ range. I think this week-end i'm going to find a reseller neer me and see if i can check em out. And seeing how they are only like 10 dollars more than the creatures. I'm looking at the ones that apple has on there website, you know the crazy shaped ones. As it is rite now its between the KLipsch pro 2.1or the jbl creatures 2.1. I've narrowed out the 4.1 invaders since manitoublack sais it wont really make a differecnt when connected to a mini jack. iTs a touph desision but with a few store vists i'm sure i can make up my mind, any more input would also be welcomed.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

www.klipsch.com

Well I'm using a two 2.1 systems utilizing a Y-adapter. Only getting two channels but two whopping channels. I did have a Promedia 4.1 and used the same Y-adapter to plug into the stereo mini-jack. I agree, you're better off with a 2.1 system and while the Promedia lineup isn't much to look at, you might want to consider perhaps Klipsch's GMX 2.1's. Slightly cheaper than the original 2.1 but equally impressive in sound. I know CompUSA and Best Buy carry Klipsch products.

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Q: do you go to a HiFi store to buy a computer?
    A: No, you go to a computer store

Here's my advice, since you seem set on the 'klipsh pro media 2.1's, go to your local HiFi store (they must deal with klipsh) and ask for there price on that particular modle. They'll give you an odd look then because they have never been asked before they will got to their catalog and give you a price.

The price they'll give you is of course not what your going to pay. Say your willing to put a cash deposit down right now, if they offer you a discount. (Also helps if you know what the klipsh pro media 2.1's retail for elsewhere.)

More than likley there price will be much better than any computer store's since a HiFi store shifts much more audio equiptment (supriseingly) hence they recieve volume discounts from the wholesalers.

Pay your meger deposit ($50 should be enough) and wait 2-3 days, and bingo you have a great set of speakers at a great price.