1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

What speed connection do you have to the web?

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Jun 4, 2002.

?

So what speed do you connect at?

1. 56k

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 128k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 256k

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. 512k

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. 768k

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. T1

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  7. T3

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. Other

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hey all,

I was just wondering what kind of speeds we all connect to the web at, has everyone gone broadband yet or do we still have some poor people struggling on a 56k dial-up?

And maybe whilst we're on the subject someone might be able to clarify for me what speed a T1 and a T3 really is?

2. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

while they're clearing that up..... what's a cable modem's speed usually? cause i can't fill out the poll til i know... ha

3. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As far as I know there is no 'standard speed', it just depends on your modem and ISP, mines 512k, but some are only 256k, where others can be 1000k!

4. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

T1= ~1.5Mbps up and downstream.

I have a 2Mbps downstream and 384Kbps upstream connection. Earthlink DSL service, and I am damned close to the central station for my town (hence the speeds). :D

I was having speed issues a few months back, but that got cleared up, and I also got a speed bump (was at 1.5Mbps down and 128Kbps up). Squeeky wheels get the good lube jobs... :D

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a cable modem and it runs around 950Kpbs, I'm very happy with that. There are a couple places online that you can connect to for seeing what your actual data rate is, but I don't know what they are. They were posted in another thread, so you might be able to search the posts....

6. macrumors 68040

Depends on where I am. At home I have a 56k but at work I have a 512k. As a result I do a lot of downloads and CD burning at work.
    The reason I don't have broadband at home is that the cable company will stick you with MSN and charge you insane rates (150$ a month).

7. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it all depends on where I am...

at work it's definitely slower dsl speeds...

at home...much faster and more consistent... ;)

8. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You lucky £$%@?! I would kill for a 2Mb downstream connection! As far as I know a 2Mb is not even available to the consumer here in the UK. :mad:

9. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

oh yeah

We have three T1 lines here at work, and two of them are for internet access... Unfortunately, with about 300 systems on the network, it can bog down a lot...

One of the speed test sites is www.speed411.com... usually pretty accurate, unless the site is getting a ton of traffic when you go to test. I have seen 1999kbps there :D (from home).

10. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

LMFAO!!!!!

I get better speeds they eyelikeart does at home... occasionally we check to see what we are both getting, and most of the time, I get the higher speeds. Gotta love DSL for dedicated bandwidth. Doesn't matter how many people in my neck of the woods are online with high speed, I get my speed. Unlike cable modems, which uses shared bandwidth (more people on that segment, the slower you will become).

FYI, I pay $49.95 a month, no charge for the DSL modem or anything like that... Earthlink provided me with the modem and phone line filters (needed for DSL connection since it uses your existing phone wires).

11. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: oh yeah

Please stop! You make me want to cry with my (what now seems) pathetic, 512k downstream, 128k upstream.

12. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's an outrage!!! How can they possibly charge $150!?! I only pay £25 per month here in the UK, and normally internet access is much more expensive here.

13. macrumors 68040

If you think that is bad: They charge 60$ for basic cable AND I can't DSL where I live AND they are the only service provider. The only upside is that they are going bankrupt and will probably be gone in a couple of months. You see they have this silly policy that if you don't get cable TV then you get charged for both and don't get cable TV. It's confusing, I know.

14. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Are you anywhere near South Park??? :D I had to ask.

Do they at least use some lube before shafting you???

15. macrumors 68030

britboy

T3 Baby!!! Yeah!!! That's the best part of being at universtity... :D

16. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How many people do you share that T3 with??? :D

17. macrumors 68030

britboy

Ah. That's the downside :p There's about 200 people on this T3 line (although not all of them have computers, or are connected at the same time). All the same though, i get some pretty nice up/down speeds :)

18. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I just did a speed check here at work and came up with 3554kbps from speed411's web site. That would be the multiple T1 lines at work... :D

19. macrumors 68040

Nowhere near South Park. South Park actually consists of several mobile homes in a field and a jerky store. No lube either ;) .

20. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have a 1.5MB cable connection at home, and a DSL here in the office. Out at the corporate office they have 3 T3 lines. Yea, it is fun to surf the web through Citrix on those puppies, let me tell you. :D :cool: :p :eek:

21. macrumors regular

I have cable at home 1.5 (road runner) and a T3 at work...

Don't remember the last time I used a modem,....thank god;)

I would hate to see how long it would take uploading websites on a 56k connection...

22. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Modems are a dead technology to me... I rather enjoy my DSL connection, since I don't have to share bandwidth with anyone else but my own computers... I don't like the idea that the cable company puts my computer onto a large network (even if it is 'secure') where I am sharing bandwidth, and more vulnerable to hacking (unless I go out and get a firewall).

Besides, with my DSL service, I also have six email addresses, and I actually use all of them.

Yes, I am a geek, and proud of it damnit. :D

23. macrumors regular

True....I do notice slow downs at peak times..it's lame, but still faster than any 56k modem..

<denial>and as far as security goes most people that hack on a PC could care less about me on my mac</denial> ... I hope...

I have everything backed up so if anything ever happened I would be cool. Still lookin for a good free personal firewall for mac...

24. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

For a good 'free' firewall... there is one built into the new Airport base stations... :D...

25. macrumors regular

heh...:D