what sports did you, or do you play in school?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 21, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    many moons ago i was a soccor goalie and a track athelete who mostly did long distance races

i wasn't good at either but it was still a blast:p
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I ran cross country back in high school. I'm not a big fan of sports. It was the only time I've ever played on a sports team. Even though I was almost always last in all the meets, I still had a blast doing it. I had many friends on the team, so it was almost like hanging out durring practices, only we were all running!
  3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
  4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I played soccer from elementary school thru my first year of college. Around middle school is when I started playing goalie and that's what I played ever since.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I play football for my highscool. I will be Varsity next year (I will be a Junior). I think the headcoach is changing up the offence a little bit because he knows I am an option quarterback. I can pass, but I can run the option pretty damn good. I had like 160 yards running it one game last year, and the pitchman had around 120.

I don't think I am playing baseball this year, I want to work at football. Last year when I played, my throwing mechanics for football were all screwed up.

G5orburst- LaCrosse seems like a fun sport. I wish my school had it. I would love to play it, it seems pretty physical. Boxing would be another I want to try.
  7. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I played basketball freshman and sophomore year (point guard).

I have also done soccor with school, but that was a long time ago.

I took tae kwon doe at my elementary school for a short period of time. The majority of the martial arts I have taken have been outside of school.

I took diving independently of my school for ~four years.

I played flag football in 7th grade for about a month but I quit. It was absolutely horrible. I'm the only person in the world who doesn't know the rules to football so they never really taught me how to play. Ugh, never again.

I'm kind of also a self taught gymnast, but I taught myself everything at home, although I have been known to show off at school ;).

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    played soccer and football. i loved leveling people on the ground.... beautiful cathartic expierence.

then i found out that my passion was not in sports it was in fine art. now i am as serious/passionate in art (painting) as walter payton was/is with football.
  9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
  10. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    Football in the fall
    Swimming in the winter
    Track (hurdles) in the spring

Of course that was back in highschool
    Now I'm in the marching band
  11. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
    I did cross country, track, and WRESTLING! I wasn't very good in any of them, though.
  12. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Im not much of an athletic type... but I occasionaly come to the chess meets.

To tell the truth, Im not very good at sports. I just don't find them particularly fun/interesting. The only sport that I ever enjoyed taking (we are required to take a sport for gym|) was badminten.
  14. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Track and Field, mostly short sprints and relays.
  15. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    Used to love playing Rugby & Cricket at school...

My maths teacher saw me in the paper once for my Judo - and spent 2 years trying to get me into the wrestling team. Finally, I relented - won a few tournaments - retired from schoolboy wrestling for good (hated the leotard thingys).

Eventually, I convinced him to look after a Judo team that I started - and we were really successful.

My legacy to my school...

In the end, I gained Sports' "Blues", or colours, for Judo, Wrestling and Cricket - and was the only one ever who received them twice...
  16. Angelus macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    I didn't play any sports for my school. I studied Tae Kwon Do for about 6 years outside of school.
    Since i've gone to college i'm having way more fun sports wise. My new passion is climbing.It's the best thing i've ever done and i've never felt as alive as when i'm lead climbing a difficult route and my heart is racing.
  17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    My main sport was rugby, I played all through school as a wing 3/4 and full-back, went on to play at county level as wing and outside centre, and played at Leicester (now the Tigers) as a Wing under Dusty Hare's beady eye. I also ran 100 and 200 meters at county level, and for a number of athletic clubs.

Then I discovered martial arts, took 8 years of Karate, ending up with Kyokushinkai or Knockdown Karate where I gained 2nd Dan, I started Aikido 6 years ago, and am currently training up for my 2nd Dan grading this summer.

For the record, I wanted to play football (soccer...) but I am uniformly crap at it...:rolleyes:
  18. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    can you teach me Aikido... ?? :) can you imagine anything more fun than beating... (I mean training... heheheh) me up once a week... :D

As for myself, I used to play Rugby (League ;) Union was crap back in the early '90's) and Basketball (I had a good height advantage over everyone else... :D )

I also use to Mountain Bike race up until '95... although I'm still partial to attacking my favourite single tracks up in Buckden North Yorks when I'm in the area... ;) :D
  19. The_Wall macrumors member

May 20, 2003

Soccer goalkeeper from 6th grade through now (my 2nd year of college) and still going. My name is a nickname of how I play.

20. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    While being in school, I played water-polo. Not for my school, though. I stopped playing some years ago, because I wasn't good enough...
  21. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm 6' 8", so as you can imagine the first question that I always get ask. You guest it, Did you every play basketball. Once had a bet on my height at our local country fair. I grew up in the country so didn't have the opportunity to get into sports like those that grow up in the city. I rode my bicycle a lot. What I always say it isn't that easy to even touch the basket, It takes athletic ability and a good Achilles tendon.

I did have a goal to get a varsity letter. The way that I earned it was as a manager of our track team.
  22. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Yeah, four years of high school cross country and track (i did play hockey my freshman year, but was only JV) pretty much destroyed my knees, so I haven't done any running at college...when it warms up though, I may start running again, and see where my times for the 800M are....if I can pull under a 2:20 without any reconditioning, I may seriously consider joining the track team next year....
  23. beelzebub macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2004
    In High School I was on the Rifle Team and Track(High Jump, Long Jump, and Triple Jump)
  24. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I guess I'll be the first to say I played four years of tennis in High School. I never took it all that seriously, though. Marching band was at the same time... That was my passion. I went on to do two years with Purdue University's All-American Marching Band.

I also got hooked on racquetball in college. Haven't played in a long time, though.

But for this farm kid, Fencing is the ultimate workout!
  25. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    well.. i was on the football team, but i didn't play much... we went to the state championship... so we had a very good team... anybody from Montgomery County know Sherwood?