What studios are a part of the "Microsoft Game Studios"?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I've noticed games listed as developer by "Microsoft Game Studios" and some are listed as developed by their first party studios (Bungie, Rare, etc.) and was wonderif MGS is consider its own studio or a group of studios.

The fact that it is called Microsoft Game Studios makes me think this is more of an umbrella name.

One of the main reasons I'm interested is because Microsoft has said Unreal Engine 3 would be used for all new next-gen games developed by MGS.

So does this include Bungie and Rare? If so I think that will be great since the Halo engine was far from great and it would give Bungie more time to work on the game, rather then the technology needed for the game (Halo 3/Forerunner).

So does anyone know? I found a job posting quote on bungie.net that seemed to refer to themselves as a Microsoft Game Studio but thought someone else might have more concrete data.

Thanks,
    ~ Hao

2. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

I read somewhere, not sure if it was gamespot or ign, but ill look into where I found it, but halo 3 forerunner would be running on a updated halo 2 game engine, it sounds weird so dont start bashing me, but thats what I heard

3. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

The Halo engine was more advanced than anything else in use at the time, that I'm aware of (with things like detail textures and bump mapping). Certainly more than the Quake 3 engine or the Unreal 2 engine.

--Eric

5. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

The Halo engine was advanced at the time they showed the first ingame movies, but due to Bungie ever pushing the release date to match the launch of the Xbox, the engine was somewhat dated when the game was finally released.

IMHO. Oh, and the Q³ engine had curved surfaces. ;)