What?! Thanks for for NOTHING, Apple.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChrisBrightwell, Apr 29, 2005.

1. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I just got this email:
    This happened w/ Panther, too. What the hell?!

I'm really tempted to cancel my family pack order and walk down to the OS X release party going on tonight to buy a single license.

I'd love to "do it right" or whatever, but come on. Don't guarantee delivery then miss the ****ing boat.

Damnit.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think you need to call them and cancel the order. Otherwise, you're just letting them get away with it.

Sony tried a similar sort of crap on me once... I ordered a notebook over the phone from Sonystyle.com, and was assured it would ship on Day X with Priority Overnight shipping to arrive on Day X+1. What happened? You guessed it. No shipment, no computer. I called 'em up and said "Cancel it". They said, "Too late". I said, "NOT too late, you haven't shipped it yet". I went to CompUSA and bought the machine there. Sony then STILL shipped the machine to me, a week later (and they charged my credit card). I called 'em up and raised hell, demanded a full refund of ALL charges and that they pay for return shipping. They did everything I asked.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Are they selling the Family Pack at the release party? you could just pick one up there if it is available. But yeah, I'd probably cancel your order.

4. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Given all I've heard of Apple's online store being behind the curve, I'm going to wait until 6pm for two reasons:

1. It may be sitting on a truck somewhere and just not be updated.
    2. The email is probably automated and may be a false negative if the site hasn't been updated.

Either way -- at 6pm, I've a feeling that I'm going to be mighty pissed. If it doesn't show up tonight, Apple Customer Service and I will be having a long conversation on Monday.

5. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Not that I'm aware of.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'd call and complain. The Apple system is backwards. People who placed their orders only a week ago have recieved Tiger. (Myself) While others who ordered back when it was first announced are still waiting. Terrible way to do business IMO.

7. quik macrumors regular

I bought mine April 12th. If I don't have it tonight at 6 PM I'll be REALLY pissed off. Not sure I'll buy from Apple Store again.

God that sucks...

8. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Hey Man! The weirdest thing happened to me today! I too received that email from Apple and I was a bit peeved. I checked the order status page on the Apple site and my status hadn't budged: "preparing shipment."

Then, I heard the FedEx truck! Tiger WAS delivered to me today about 20 minutes ago! I have it right here next to me. Another strange thing is that it didn't come from Apple in California; it came from Jonestown, PA, about 3 hours from me.

I'm thinking Apple is requesting its carriers to send out copies to pre-order people. You could still get your copy!!

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

exact same thing happened to me about an hour ago

10. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I am still hoping that I will experience the same. As of right now, FedEx is saying the delivery will occur on Monday and that my package is still in PA. Kind of sucks considering I purchased on 4/12 at 8:50am.

Hickman

11. starnox macrumors 6502

At least things get done over there. Mine was shipped, but it wasn't shipped with high priority. TNT do not work on Saturdays and its a Bank holiday monday. So I won't get my copy until wednesday/thursday! I can't cancel it since they shipped it. I wanna go to a local reseller tomorrow :(

12. whiteangel macrumors regular

Are you in the UK as well? Well I didn't get mine today too. And apparently you can cancel it even if they shipped it, because I was given the choice to cancel mine (which was shipped). However I settled for a £15 compensation which is on top of my student price. So thats £43 for Tiger so I guess I'll have to wait as I can't get student price from MicroAnvika. :(

13. aik0n macrumors newbie

Don't worry. Mine isn't coming until Monday now, plus I ordered on the first day at 8:50 AM Pacific Time. Gotta love Apple.

My order went from Middletown, PA to Newark NJ (as of noon today it got to Jersey) and it still needs to come all the way up to me in Erie, PA.

If you're familiar with PA, Erie is the opposite direction of New Jersey.

This is great!

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Mine isn't coming today, and I didn'e even get a sorry.

I'll refuse the shipment on Monday - going to the store to get it tonight. :D

15. starnox macrumors 6502

Who gave you those options? Did you phone up apple and they said that?

16. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

That sucks guys! Ordered mine 8pm UK Wednesday 27th.. was delivered 11:30am Friday 29th.. Great :D

Except.. no one was in to pick it up :( so I gotta wait until tomorrow! Schucks

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Compensation? I will have to call back, when I have called they will NOT give me the option to cancel even though they don't seem to know whether it has shipped or not or when it should be coming!

Quote: "We're having problems with logistics."

I ordered on April 12.

I'd settle for a free Shuffle. LOL. What's the best way to ask for compensation? Every time I call I get nervous and just listen to their explanations and thank them, etc. I have trouble being confrontative.

18. starnox macrumors 6502

Same. You just gotta tell yourself you will never see this person again in your life. LOL

19. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I dunno how it works in the UK, but around here you can usually call and schedule another delivery later that day.

20. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Or go to the facility the package is being shipped out of and pick it up in person after the delivery trucked has returned, usually around 4-6 PM. Try calling the delivery company and see if that is an option. I've done it a few times.

21. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Well at least never talk to them again.

I am thinking about going to Micro Center and picking it up tonight-only $79, which is similar to the education discount I'd be getting from Apple. I'm just wary about this whole "refuse shipment" thing.

The doorbell rings on Monday, and I say...No, please take this back from whence it came? :) Is that all it takes?

22. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I can't say that it bothers me in any significant way that my copy won't be delivered until Monday instead of today (it was shipped at 3am this morning from PA), but I tell you what DOES bother me, is that whether Apple are punishing those people who placed advanced orders or not, it would not have taken much in the way of competent planning and barely half a spoonful of customer care for someone to relaise that if Tiger was going to hit the stores today, the orders that have all been 'preparing to ship' could at least have been released yesterday, or indeed even Wednesday so that those who pent their money with Apple on line could have their Tigers along with those who are fortunate enough to have an Apple reseller in reach.

Apple put so much thought and effort into being cool, they have none of either left over to put into customer care.

23. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I called Apple again and this time got to a higher up person. He at first said it would be arriving Monday or Tuesday and was going to look up what sort of compensation he could offer me by talking to his supervisor.

Then he came back and said his supervisor said it might still be coming today (what is this the miracle of christmas...the guy said it's still being prepared for shipment somewhere and it's gonna appear today out of thin air?), plus our Fedex has already made its trip down our road today,

so he said their official position is that it IS arriving today, but if it hasn't come by six to call in and they can then talk about compensation (although i am weary that compensation means getting a price knocked out of one of their products that i then have to buy)

I thought steve jobs was into EVERY LAST DETAIL..................insanely great, but insanely late......