What the heck am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tawcat, May 1, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

When saving a file in Pages, it seems I can't open a sub folder.

I have a folder "A" which has a folder "B". I'm wanting to open a file from "A" edit it and save that file to "B." When I click save, give it a name, only option I'm given are main folders, and I cannot figure out how to get to the sub folders.

Probably something extremely easy, guess I am having one of those "I feel stupid" moments. Thanks.

2. macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

There is a little arrow in the save dialog that will allow you to save to a subfolder of choice.

3. macrumors 65816

Drew017

you can also choose the view mode to help you open folders (I like column view best)

[​IMG]

4. thread starter macrumors regular

When I click save this is what I get.

[​IMG]

No options of folders except the little drop down. I am baffled to no end. Thank you.

5. macrumors 68000

rocknblogger

Do you see the little dropdown arrow to the right of where is says:
    Save As - Untitled 2 --------------------] ^. Then all the way to the right is a little dropdown arrow. Se it?
    Click that and you'll get the large window where you can choose wherever you want.

6. tawcat, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, just tried to save a file and I got the same as above. Even though I pressed option and clicked save as. It just went to the same screen as above.

Just doesn't pass the common sense test!

7. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You have iCloud selected, so the option to expand the window is disabled. (You can't create folders in iCloud storage.)

Select any other option in the dropdown besides iCloud, then click the arrow to expand the save dialog and save where you like.

Attached Files:

8. thread starter macrumors regular

Darth.Titan: By gosh that did it. Guess the thing I was missing the whole time was the down arrow next to file name. Rocknblogger mentioned that arrow, but I was too blind to see it!!!!

Thank you to all, I really like this forum and the folks that are willing to help. Thank you all again.

9. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

This kind of breaks the whole OSX is simple thing doesn't it? Why such an important screen element is so freakin' tiny is baffling. I've FINALLY gotten used to this and the first thing I hit in a save dialog is the down arrow but it's impossible for me to justify this particular item to my Windows-loving friends.