What the heck happened to Spymac?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by spicyapple, Mar 11, 2007.

1. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I go visit and log into spymac after a 6 month hiatus and I find the site completely changed, for the worse it seems. Where's the mac community?

It looks like someone vomited all over my screen. It's like a bad mix of YouTube, MySpace and LiveJournal rolled into one abomination of cyberspace! They also do payouts to members who "contribute" which means the community aspect is all but dead.

Spymac also managed to crash Safari. I'm deleting their bookmark permanently!

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It looks like the domain has been parked. Spymac has apparently gone out of business -- under pressure from Apple, presumably. Last I heard, "Nick dePlume" had won all of his legal battles with Apple, but perhaps the site owner agreed to close it down rather than continue the fight.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Wow, your right. Did they sell up or something?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's still Mac stuff, but they've tried to go all Web 2.0 and appeal to a broader audience.

It's terrible.

5. spicyapple thread starter macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You sure you're on the right site?

www.spymac.com

Attached Files:

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The old SpyMac.com is still alive, in a fashion. If you click the Community link in the bottom righthand corner, then it will take you the Classic SpyMac website.

9. Biagio macrumors newbie

One correction above thinksecret is Nick dePlume's site. They are not closing down thinksecret. Spymac is an entirely different entity.

10. vniow macrumors G4

So Spymac is being per usual.

Nothing to see here, move along.

11. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

It's funny, what happens to some websites. I used to visit "As the Apple Turns" pretty regularly. Alas, it's creator and owner, Jack Miller, became a family man, and no longer had time for it. ATAT has not been updated since October of '95, as near as I can tell. I'm a little surprised that the domain name has not been put up for sale.

12. job macrumors 68040

job

I miss Apple Turns.

It was one of the best written Mac websites outside of Crazy Apple Rumors.

Did Jack really just start a family? I browsed the ATAT boards and it seems even the mods don't even know where he went.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jack is a really good writer. I hope he's putting the talent to good use somewhere. Send him an e-mail and let us know!