What the heck happened to TV Tome?

Discussion in 'Community' started by solvs, Jun 16, 2005.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I just noticed this today, but I guess www.tvtome.com was bought by CNet. :confused: I used to love that site, but now it looks horrible. I hope this is temporary as the work out the bugs and clean it up a little, but I'm still waiting for them to fix MacCentral (now MacWorld News), so I'm not holding my breath. Judging by the comments and endless petitions, apparently I'm not the only one to feel this way.

Anyone know of any alternatives? Because there's no way I'm going back there any time soon. And don't say Epguides, it's owned by the same company. :mad:

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Looks horrible? How? It's a much better design than their previous design. So what if it got bought by CNet? I don't understand what the problem is. The information is still there, it's just being delivered in a different package.

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

The information is not all there. A lot of it didn't get carried over. As well, it is harder to view than it was before. For example, wanting to view all episode titles for a show instead of by season. The site is slower, surrounded by distracting flash animation. If you use it in FireFox, scrolling is a nightmare. The old site may have been boring, but it was simple, the info was all there as you needed it, and it was easier to find. The current site is a mess. I wouldn't have cared if CNet bought it and kept it the same. Even tacked on a few ads, or changed it for the better. But they've ruined it. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, read the forums.

I know it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I used to love that site when I wanted to look something up entertainment wise. It's intolerable now for the purposes I used it for. So I'm a little frustrated as there aren't many alternatives. Even IMDB has it's problems. It's a trend I've seen lately with the internet, and it saddens me that it has come to this. I hope Wikipedia doesn't go down the same route. I use that site all the time.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

:eek:

Maybe I'll get used to it, but it's certainly not as clean as the old site. Where has information such as the correct Firefly episode order gone?

5. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Exactly. Guess we just have to accept it, though. Looks like it's here to stay. :(

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I can't stand the site now. So much of the information from individual episodes didn't get carried over. It's like they're starting from scratch with just episode names.

I hate it. :(

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I used to go on there a lot. But now it just reminds me of windows for some reason. I don't know why, just one of those things.

8. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

9. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I loved tvtome. I haven't poked around the new sight much.... I have a feeling I won't like it. But I'll give it a try. Here's hoping....

10. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I mean, I wasn't on there all the time. I didn't even notice for a couple of days apparently. Last I checked it was still fine and I hadn't heard anything about there being such a big change. Listening to some people you'd think CNet ran over their dogs and cheated on their Mothers (or however that's supposed to go). It was just kinda a shock to see it like that, and no one here had mentioned it. It looks like they fix a few things, but I still don't like it.

Trying to get used to it, but still looking for alternatives. Judging by the lack of new info, looks like some of the old editors have just given up. :( Sad.

11. swy32x macrumors regular

It's a shame. There is no longer an option to see whats playing tonight, or what was playing last night, it just has 3 select shows.

There aren't any upcoming episode screening dates either, which sucks.

I want tvTome back :(

12. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Sorry to revive my old thread, but I've been looking for alternatives since the FireFox issue at TV.com is back. I can't stand it, and they aren't exactly helpful. Support is non-existent, and the forums are just awful (makes me really appreciate this site). So I'm going to try Wikipedia's site, TV IV. It looks kinda raw at this point, but if it's anything like Wiki, it could be pretty good. Couldn't be worse than what CNET has done.

I've tried giving you the benefit of the doubt CNET, but you've lost me.

13. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I still find that tvtome is a reliable source of information for current, future, and old American tv shows.

I use it semi regularly still. I haven't noticed too many bugs yet - but have noticed that there has been a dorp in both the quality and quantity of information about certain shows.

14. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I have used it about twice since the change happened. It's poorly designed and has pathetic information. I hate it now.