What the heck is an AGP graphics card?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TechnoPagan, Jun 9, 2006.

1. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro is just a few hours out of its box. I've run Migration Assistant and all of my applications seem to have travelled on over. However, when I try to open Final Cut Pro (HD 4.5--I just ran an update), I get a configuration error.

[​IMG]

I'm working on a stock 17" MacBook Pro--so, running 10.4.6 on 2.16 GHz Core Duo with 1GB of RAM.

Any ideas what I should try?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Search the forum for "Final Cut" - there's an answer in here somewhere -- this is a known bug in the installer you can work around. The MBP does not have an AGP video card, it has a PCI-e video card, and the installer is freaked about that.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, this is the wonderful error that shows up on PCI-Express machines. The older Pro software can't detect your card. Yes, even though PCI-Express is superior to AGP blah...blah...

4. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks CanadaRAM and Eidorian! Well, it's not me--that's good to know.

I've done a forum search and haven't been able to find the cure--just other people with the same problem and a suggestion for a workaround that didn't seem to work around much of anything.

If I call AppleCare tomorrow, would they be able to help me? Or do they disavow all knoweldge of any errors with FinalCutPro on the new MBP?

They won't suggest I buy/upgrade to 5.1 will they? I've already plunked down a pretty chunk of change on this, figuring it would run my apps even if I'm sticking with Rosetta for a wee bit longer (let the checking account recover).

5. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

still stuck

Ok, by going through Google, I found this:

If it works for FCE, it should work for FCP, right? Except I can't seem to find the .plist

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm pretty sure there is a solution out there specifically for FCP 4.5 on Intel machines. That said, you can upgrade to FCS 5.1 for $200 which to me is a killer deal. That is almost certainly what Apple will tell you do do if you email/call them about this problem.

7. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

You're psychic, mduser63! Apple told me there was no solution and I had to upgrade. Yeah, $200 is a great deal *if* I hadn't just plunked down $2800 on a new laptop and I wasn't 3.5 months away from my next paycheck.

But, at this point it's in for a penny, in for a pound, I suppose. :rolleyes:

8. iGary Guest

iGary

The migration assistatn is the work of Satan.

9. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

Meaning I shouldn't have used it, iGary?

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Some people have great luck with it, some people (me) have had serious nightmares with it.

Judging by the responses here (I'm no Final Cut person at all), it's not necessarily the assistant. ;

11. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

Well, everything transferred over, which is synonymous with migrating. So I guess I'm good.

Plus I didn't have to track down all my product keys and serial numbers!

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Let us know how you like the machine after you have used it for a while. ;)

13. gknow73 macrumors newbie

Better late than never!

It works!!! It works!!!
    I had to save the OmniOutliner document as Info.plist and replace it in the contents folder.

Thanks!!!

14. tdbaws macrumors member

tdbaws

i'm having trouble saving this as Info.plist. In OmniOutliner, it wants to save it with a .oo3 extension or as both. What did you do gknow???

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Load the first up in text edit and when you go to save as stick a .plist on the end and say that you want to use the .plist extension when it asks.

16. tdbaws macrumors member

tdbaws

that did the trick, thanks!! i think this post should be a sticky.

17. J.A.M. macrumors newbie

Thank you

I did as TechnoPagan advised and Final Cut express HD (ver.3.0) started working on my Macbook Pro (late 2009 model). So far no errors etc...

Thank you so much!!!