What the heck is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ITASOR, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I seriously am amazed. I got two of these things and I can't stand that it works and I do not know how. My iBook's palm rests = filthy. I'm clean, but the dirt just comes off I guess. In the past, I spent hours using a pencil top eraser erasing the dirty areas and then using iKlear to remove the eraser streaks.

Wet Magic Eraser, squeeze dry, wipe twice with no effort, wipe dry with paper towel, ALL GONE.

HOW DOES IT WORK? What the heck is in it? It looks like a sponge, smells like NOTHING...I'm stumped...

If you're palm rests are dirty, this is the way to go, I'm like in shock...

Oh, and then I tried it on my PC's mouse and it took the Logitech logo clean off with one hard wipe. :eek:

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Uh oh. You might want to be careful with that stuff :p

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you NOT use one of these to clean your iPod or anything else with a glossy surface. ;)

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Does it smell clean? Like, once it's wet or after you've wiped your 'book, does your 'book smell clean?

I like clean smells. :eek:

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I haven't the faintest whats in it, but I wanna get some to try them out. Something tells me it could come in handy.

6. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I used it on the TOP of the iBook in a little spot where it's really polished and it didn't scratch it or anything. Tried it on a key really light and it didn't effect the lettering on it. PC mouse is old, so the logo might have been on it's way out anyway...haha.

Devilot, sorry no clean smells. It smells like NOTHING, except it does clean. :p

7. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I'm gonna get some and clean my sled's engine bay with them! :D

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm guessing its like a micro-fiber towel except a sponge.

Also notice that it slowly disintegrates into nothing.

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Don't we all.

10. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Absoloutely nothing in this universe disintegrates into nothing, everything disintegrates into something be it, energy, matter, whatever etc

On a side note microfibre is prob the best bet

11. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Meh. Only in physics. In metaphysics, we're all nothing already.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's a block of melamine foam, not that that's particularly useful information....

13. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I've used those before. They ARE pretty weird.....they feel like squishy styrofoam, but the dirt comes right off. I thought the TV adverts were a bit misleading, though: they show the thing slowly disapating to nothing (energy as it wasn't matter :p But I swear, they all tore in half on the first use when I tried to clean my fridge. Hmmm..maybe I shouldn't let it go for 8 months at a time.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

What kind of sled do you have? How is the riding up that way? I ride a lot in the Black Hills of South Dakota and in Wyoming.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

All I know about melamine foam is that it's used in acoustic ceiling tiles...maybe I'll clean my iBook with a ceiling tile. :p

I think that basically it just has really small fibers, which are able to make such a tight seal with a hard surface that they wipe off whatever is coating it.

I've been recommending the Mr. Clean erasers for iBooks for a while...they work great for getting your computer white again. :D

16. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Riding is awesome. Not yet though. No good snow till december normally.

I ride 2 sleds (not at the same time).

1989 Skidoo Formula Mach 1
    1987 Skidoo Citation LS

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I remember those sleds well. Still see a few of the older Mach's with the PRS front end running around. Seems like the Rotax engines will last a long time. I have a 2005 Yamaha RS Rage. I bought it in March. Always had Arctic Cat's before, but I decided to try the new 4 stroke engine. 998cc DOHC 3 cyl. that produces 120HP. Too bad Yamaha does not build small car engines!

It's a little heavier then the 2 stroke models, but not bad. It rides pretty smooth with a double wishbone front end and a 136" track. I get good mileage and have lots of power and a free breathing top end. Plus, I like the dual exhaust that comes out under the seats, the sculpted fuel tank, and digital speedo/tach...gives it that crotch rocket look! ;o)

Ok...as far as this amazing cleaner is concerned...it probably would be a good engine degreaser!

18. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, the mach has had some work done to it also. Namely bored out to around 600cc. It's pushing about 110hp. Such a fun sled. And I got it for $400 since the hood was banged up.

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic of it from this summer. No good snow pics. Soon to come though :)

**edit**
    And yes, I will probably clean the engine with a Mr. Clean thingy.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Is it bad that I think Mr. Clean is a kinda hot?

[​IMG]

_Emerson

20. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Ummm... Isn't he kinda old for you? ;)

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

22. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

These things work well- but use them with some caution. I took some paint off a door and some molding after repeated use in the same area (not excessive, by my definition).

23. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well I guess if you have a thing for a man who is part pirate/part genie!
    :)

There is a pic of my Yamaha. The only chance I had to ride it was in March right after I bought it. Was an *I love me and I am glad to be back from Iraq alive* gift to myself.

Attached Files:

24. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Looks pretty sweet. You should come to maine and check out our trails :cool:

Or not. I mean, they are great, but not good enough to trailer your sled 1000 miles.

25. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Thanks! That dorky paper dealer's tag is not in the windshield anymore so it looks better. I thought about a low height chrome windshield, but they are kind of expensive. I think it would look awesome against the metallic blue though. I am kind of getting pumped that there will be snow soon!

Yeah I'd love to try some new places to ride. It is hard to get away a lot in the winter with my job and all, but I always take time over Christmas and at least one other time in January or February to ride. My favorite places include of course the Black Hills in South Dakota, Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming and the Snowy Range near Laramie, WY. I have also went riding near Grand Junction, CO and twice I have taken trips to Yellowstone and rode into Idaho. I have mainly rode the mountains out west, so I would love to try something new someday. If I was going to ride in Maine, I would just rent a sled instead of pulling mine that far.

As far as the orginal topic is concerned...wouldn't this stuff be kind of like "Goo Gone." That stuff works great on getting that goo left from stickers, etc. off.