what the hell happened?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rtil, Oct 1, 2005.

1. rtil macrumors newbie

i got the itunes update and ipod update last night, and i check itunes this morning and EVERYTHING is messed up.
    [​IMG]
    this is only the beginning. all my playlists and ratings are completely messed up, randomized and make no sense. my "top rated" playlist has all kinds of different songs that were never on it.
    is there any way i can revert this mess? it transferred to my iPod as well.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In your iTunes folder, is there an iTunes Library data file with an (old) or (previous) behind it in addition to the actual iTunes Library data file?

If there is, you may be able to remove the new one, rename the old one to what the new one was called, and then reopen iTunes. Make sure you do this while iTunes is quit, obviously.

If you don't have this extra file, then I'm not quite sure how we're going to fix this. :eek:

3. rtil thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't know where to find that.
    if there is no way to fix this at least some kind of explanation? This shouldn't happen, ever. have other people had similar problems with the update?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The iTunes folder is kept in the My Music folder by default on PCs (and it looks like you're using a PC). It is in the Music folder by default on Macs.

Within this iTunes folder, there will be an iTunes Music folder and two other files. If you have three other files and one of them has a previous or old (I forget which) in brackets, then that is your original library data file and it may still hold your proper play-counts etc. Is it there? :)

5. rtil thread starter macrumors newbie

to anyone who has this problem like me - yes this does work. i was able to restore my original library simply by swapping the files.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew