What the hell is wrong with game developers (or; why don't they use iCloud saves)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Silvereel, Sep 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2010
    Why is it that hardly any game developers bother to use iCloud to backup and sync saves across devices? Not only is this a handy feature for people with more than one device, but without it you are basically totally screwed if you end up having to restore your device, since iTunes/iCloud backup & sync doesn't seem to restore game saves. You'd think it would be a top priority thing for developers, but apparently not...
  2. macrumors 65816

Nov 10, 2010
  3. macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2012
    I don't know about iCloud restores, but I've restored existing iPhones and restored to a new iPhone and iPad from iTunes and each time it has restored all of my game saves.

That said I do agree that more games should support iCloud.
  4. macrumors member

Jul 31, 2012
    Developers need to jump through extra hoops to get permission from apple to use iCloud servers. The extra coding is also a consideration. Many developers will likely add iCloud functionality in time, but the issues that it can create require patience with the end user. To ensure a quality app, most developers would wait until they are sure it won't cause bugs before deploying.