What the hell is wrong with people? Pt. 838184910381673

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jul 6, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/us/05liberty.html?th&emc=th

[​IMG]

They're against burning the flag, but they're OK with desecrating the Statue of Liberty with crosses :rolleyes:

2. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

...or desecrating crosses with the Statue of Liberty.

3. Queso macrumors G4

And you Americans wonder why we Europeans laugh at you so much? That's such a naff thing to do, even chavvy when you think about it :D

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

wow...$260,000 for that...

Well Jesus don't pay the rent (well maybe this this guy it does) and Jesus doesn't stop muggings, rapes, starvation and death on the streets. But yeah, spending all that money on a mash up with the statue of liberty, that'll help.

Reminds me of that episode of the simpsons when Mr.Burns financed the church after homer/bart burnt the old one down.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What is it with religion and a general lack of good taste?

Ben Folds said it well, in his quiet little song about Jesus returning to earth in the USA and finding a place that's cashing in on everything he did (or didn't) do but can't recognise him when they see him.

That statue is the final representation that religion has succumbed to total hypocrisy.

And ya know what? There'll probably be something worse to whinge about next week on the same subject. What a depressing time it is...:rolleyes:

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Wow. I just don't know what to say. That is so...inappropriate. Where do we draw the line? I'm all for celebrating one's faith, but this is just offensive.

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So, when will Las Vegas be destroyed by God?

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

For cryin' out loud, God is not the foundation of our nation. Get that through your thick ****ing heads already!!

And people wonder why the rest of us think of religious types as brainwashed fanatics??

As for this...

[​IMG]

...that's just creepy.

Might at least be funny if someone erected a statue of Dracula facing it.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So how many of our brave Senators will stand up and defend the desecration of our Lady Liberty with a constitutional amendment?

I wonder if that's because the one who voted for and supported the flag-burning amendment weren't motivated so much by reverence for the flag as by reverence for reelection...

10. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

...and yet the 10 Commandments are being removed from courthouses???

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

You are thinking of 'Jesusland' from Songs for Silverman. Ben Folds is a genius. :)

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the article did not prepare me for how garish the thing is. it looks like something satirical, straight out of the simpsons, maybe.

but -- i'll protect that guy's right to build ugly statues. as for protection from his membership, he's on his own.

13. Motley macrumors 6502

How gaudy.

Personally I think a big "Buddy Christ" statue would have looked better.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

This just in - America is *not* God's country of choice. I'm not sure which irritates me more - the Southern Baptist culture in which I had to grow up, or the loons who act like America is their religion and give real Christians a bad name.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

No, no, no...

It's only desecration if you don't agree with the statement (just like activist judges).

If I were to super impose a cross on the flag with the field of stars replaced by the tablets for the Ten Commandments, that would be fine. If George Bush signs my flag, that's fine.

But if I burn the same flag that's desecration... Or if I let John Kerry sign it...

16. vniow macrumors G4

Can't we here in California secede or something? Or are we stuck in the same country as these people for good?

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Huh? Public versus private. Totally different issue.

This guy has every right to do this on his private property as long as he's not violating any city ordinances by doing so. I don't care if this sits there forever personally.

I do find it ironic that our government would see fit to try to pass a constitutional amendment against flag burning, but will ignore the rampant instances of Statue of Liberty desecration since it's not good politics to go after the Christians in this country.

And I do find it interesting that none of our supposedly 'far left' members have called for this guy to leave 'our country' yet we've had righties make that argument when the flag was burned. And that makes who "angrier"?

18. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i dont wonder. our president is a monkey, people do stupid stuff like this, etc. i would be laughing too if i were in your shoes. :eek:

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Does anyone remember Robert Mapplethorpe and his cross in a pot of urine? There are plenty of other examples of artists who've taken "liberties" with icons.

Here is a mock statue of Liberty in Greifswald, Germany. gw will be just a few kilometers away from it when he goes to visit Angie.

[​IMG]

Is this one any better than the one in TN?

20. Queso macrumors G4

That is just hilarious!!! Who says Germans don't have a sense of humour?

:D :D :D

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that was Piss Christ, by Andres Serrano.

22. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Come to Canada! We've got it all! Gay Marriages (well for now), Semi-Legal pot, our phones aren't tapped, and we don't carry guns!

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

wow that is hideous. Something makes me want to drape it with a robe of flowers. :D

e

24. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I feel that they're both disgusting. The middle-finger one bothers me more, though... It's an insult to immigrants, to the French, to New York City, and to every American citizen whose family immigrated. What lovely Germans. :)

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not an insult to anyone who knows that laurels are not for resting on.