What the hell, MAC OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by diametric, Aug 13, 2006.

1. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

I've loved Mac OS X, and I still do. And I'm a switcher. But I've just realised that Mac OS X has given me a lot of work for me to do. Hell, at least spotlight comes in handy in what I do.

What I mean is the hard drive hog OS X is. I'm not talking about the OS X space. I was okay with the 20 gigs of OS X. But OS X does something windows never did. It adds everything to everywhere.

I only realised this after I saw that all my .mp4 movies had been added to the iTunes Music Library.

So now I have to go back and delete. Since I only convert .avi's to .mp4's, update them on to my iPod and thn just delete them. Now I have to find all the duplicated files. What a pain!

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Pretty much any file duplication anywhere is an option. For example, it is an option in iTunes Preferences to duplicate files in the iTunes library, and that same option exists for iTunes on Windows.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's a preference in iTunes (go to preferences) which is to either allow iTunes to manage your media files (ie copy them into the iTunes Library so you have a single folder to back up) or to allow you to manage your media so you can leave music/video scattered across your HD - but if you move stuff then you might end up with ! marks in iTunes if it can't then find them again.

The general idea that you copy then into iTunes and delete the original if you're letting iTunes manage stuff... but it's up to the user to decide if they want to do that.

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

Mac OS X installs off of a single DVD... it originally installed off a single CD until localizations and printer drivers pushed it to multiple CDs. So why do you think it is taking up 20 GB? Did your system come with a set of four or five restoration DVDs? :eek:

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

he is apparently talking about pre-installed OS, it IS more than 20GB.

6. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Yeah, if you include all of the iLife apps and the other bundled software that comes with a new Mac, it does take up about 20 gigs.

7. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Unlike Windows, however, you can delete any of that software you like.

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ummm I hate to burst yur bubble but most addin software in windows you can do the same thing. the only real bundled software you can't uninstall now a days is IE. It can hide it but you can't uninstall it. Generally speaking with a page file Windows XP. sans the backups after all the patches, takes up about 1.2GB of space. Vista is another matter though. Heck both vista and Leopard are going to be MASSIVE HD hogs.

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Leopard Beta with no localizations or printer drivers only takes about 3 GB of space.

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Windows doesn't have any consistency in the location of the files it is putting.

OS X has specific places for everything. stuff that gets loaded into iTunes goes into the music folder, movies and iMovie projects go into the Movies folder, sites go into the Sites folder, general system files go into the Library folder that exists into your HD, while user preferences go into this user's library folder into his/her home folder.

You are a switcher, and you do the mistake that most switchers do: You are looking for a better windows. But OS X is not a better windows (although it works with windows), but is an entirely different system, with different concepts everywhere.

As fo the 20Gbytes OS X takes on your HD... You are talking about the bundled software. If you uninstall it, the HD drive space taken by the OS will drop down to 1,5-2.0 GBytes.

11. deepy macrumors regular

i've yet to make the switch but.......20GB?!?!?!?!

How many bundled apps come with os x?

All i can see is that it comes with iLife ’06, iWork ’06 Trial, Front Row, Photo Booth, Comic Life, OmniOutliner, Big Bang Board Games. How can all this take 20GB?

12. adamb100 macrumors regular

iLife takes up alot of space, especially garageband.

13. adamb100 macrumors regular