what the hell?

Discussion in 'Community' started by beez7777, Oct 4, 2002.

1. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

crazy_will here, broadcasting from beez7777's house.

we just packed up his 17" for a trek to the apple store genius bar.
    aparrently, we went into os 9.2.2, and it can't find the hdd or the system folder, but os X.2 can. has anyone else had a similar problem?

p.s.- i was going to put this in the mac help section, but its more of a rant than a quest for tech support. i've got that coming my way for free on monday.
    :mad: :confused: :eek: :mad: :confused: :eek:

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I'm guessing that the HD on the computer doesn't have OS 9 HD drivers, so it can't boot into OS 9 but OS X can see it. I hope this the answer your looking for.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

When you erase the drive, and reformat it with Disk Utility, you have an option to remove OS 9 drivers, thus making OS 9 unable to read the drive...

irmongoose

Attached Files:

4. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

crazy_will here-

we packed up his machine for the journey tomorrow. what's really strange is that he used to boot into 9 constantly, and now, this one time, it isn't working. with our luck @ the apple store tomorrow, it will work perfectly.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...have u installed anything new recently?

6. beez7777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

beez7777

ok, we went to the apple store, and the genius told us that it was probably caused by a corrupt file or something. im just gonna zero format, its not such a big deal. ive only had the machine for a month, so the only thing ill lose is the music. ill let you all know how the reformat goes tomorrow.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I like formatting my drive. It makes the computer run faster. It's like it's brand new. I just don't like loosing all my files :D.

8. beez7777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

beez7777

everything works! yay! i reformatted and used the software restore cds. my machine runs faster than it did before and the whole process only took a few hours. yay! :D

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Much as I love Apple:

I usually find it good practice to nuke and clean install immediately after unpacking a new machine. It's all done by server at the factory and stuff can go wrong. For my own sanity I prefer to just do it myself and be sure.;)

There were a number of instances where customer's machines would have faulty installs or an alert from Apple saying a day's worth of iMacs hadn't been reset from "netboot" to boot from their HD's.... silly, murphy's law stuff that scares the willy's out of the average user. :rolleyes: