what the new imac is missing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jkaz, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

although i do like the new g5 iMac alot, especially the prices per screen size, here's why i'm not buying one right now.

64mb vram. i don't want my friend with a sweet powerbook to have more vram than me.

only up and down tilting, no swivel back and forth as the old style imac had. this isn't that big of a deal, but just a current factor.

built in video camera! built in extreme! built in bluetooth!
    these seem to me to be areas where apple should lead the pack, instead
    of boosting $$$

i like it alot though, and if the vram would be at 128, i would likely bite.

comments?

(64mb of vram is max, right?)

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

You can easily turn the whole thing.
    Extreme and BT are BTO options.
    If you need a camera built in, get an iSight.
    Yes, the amount of VRAM is kind of skimpy, maybe next rev.

3. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

i just think it's come time that camera, tooth and xtreme are standard.

because, yes, i do know that bt and bto are options and that iSight is available for purchase.

thank you

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Heh, it's not like Apple will lose any money with a few people bitching about what's included and what's not. If these people don't buy it, others will. I'll get the 20" when I see it at the school book store.

Standard? What do you think this is, a PC?

5. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

dude, don't insult me like that, i'm not in the mood.

standard like firewire you nut

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Advice to you newbie, not a way to make friends here. Neither is starting a thread on something like this when there are a ton of them out there. No offense, but this has been brought up already. A lot.

I agree that the VRAM is a little skimpy, but as someone who doesn't play video games it doesn't matter to me. Neither does Airport or BT (or camera). I'd rather not pay for them, and for those who do, adding them is pretty easy. That's all Fuzzy meant (though you could be a little nicer to the newb, we were all new at one point). It's too bad Apple doesn't also give you a way to upgrade the video card when you buy it like with the PowerBooks, but I guess that's what the Towers are for. Maybe Apple will come out with a low end Tower soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunetly the iMac is not for you. Understandable. But people are kinda sick of hearing about this. Yes, it sucks for gaming. E-mail Apple to complain. Then join the New iMac thread.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Possible solution >> http://www.g5gear.com/ineck/

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I must be missing the offensiveness in the post by jkaz. Also, although his post count is low, he's been posting for about seven months and has been around longer than about a quarter of the membership.

I also missed where jkaz argued that the iMac sucks for gaming.

Threads are free. I've yet to understand why people complain about new ones. It's not like the posts will take up less room if they add to an older thread, and sometimes it's nice to not have to dig through 500 previous posts to catch up on a thread so as to not have someone complain that your post was just like one 200 posts previously.

I agree with the VRAM/GPU complaints. I like that BT and AE are best left as options, although I think Apple should either make BT a user-upgradeable option without requiring an external 3rd party dongle or make it standard. I'd also like to see a DVI or VGA in port to allow the iMac to be used as a monitor for an external system.

And yes, I'm sure 300 other people have mentioned the same things.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yes, 64MB of VRAM isn't the best. No, I don't care to hear about it for the 10 billionth time. Accept the fact that the iMac is not a gaming computer!!! Plain and simple. There. And just in case you do decide to play games on it, 64MB of VRAM is not bad, it just isn't too good nowadays.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Actually, it was your where I found it :D

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This post should just be made a sticky on the top of the buying advice and hardware forums, IMHO. I don't want to hear one more word about the graphics card on the imac. Yes, it could (and should) be better. No, it's not as bad as some people would have you believe. But mostly, if we didn't get it the first 10,000 times it was said, is it really going to help saying it for the 10,001st time?

13. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

hmmm...

i come to macrumors...

i think to myself, man, i'm really tired of hearing about all the stuff the new iMac is missing...

then i see a thread called "what the new iMac is missing"...

so instead of ignoring the post (since i did just think to myself how sick i was of hearing this) I HAVE TO CLICK ON IT AND WHINE ABOUT IT BEING THERE!!!!!!!

god, please! you people are just as bad or worse than the ones that you claim are annoying people. he has a right to post here. if he didn't the MODERATORS would have deleted it. so, if you aren't one....

ah forget it.

good luck with your purchase, man. maybe you will want to wait until the first update, when they may just put a higher end card in the top-end iMac.

and apparently you should post this elsewhere or the whiny monsters might attack you!!!! RRRRAAAAARAAAGGGHHHH...

HA HA HA!!! I love you guys!!! :eek:

14. furrina macrumors regular

What a great example of human behavior. :p

15. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

You see this is an example list about why I will never buy a mac desktop that is not a Powermac. Reason being is to me there are to close to entry level in hardward. Powermac are to over kill and cost to much.

But does that mean I am not planing on buy a mac in a few years when I replace my laptop. No as it stands I plan on replacing my PC laptop in 2 years or so with an Apple ones which I see as being competively priced and competive specs with upgradlity.

Lastly I will say Damn you Pear PC. Because now I want to get a mac to play around with. (WIll never be the main computer due to lack software I need)

16. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i want wireless power, or at least imac with a battery - that way the new imac would compare to 2yr old dell laptops in size and weight :D :D :D

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No offense was meant, I guess I was just thrown by the thread and the response to Fuzzy. I thought it was about something else when I clicked on it, and got someone talking about something that's been discussed ad nauseum. It wouldn't have bothered me if he didn't say "I'm not in the mood". Don't know why that set me off, it just did.

My point is just that, not to speak for Fuzzy, but we've had an influx of new posters coming in just to complain about something that is not intended for them. I keep seeing "I haven't read any of this, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but..." and then something that has been said many, many times. I'm all for constructive criticizm (.Mac anyone?), but there were almost 1600 posts on the iMac thread last I checked, most of them saying the same thing. That's why I said "no offense" and "understandable". Maybe jkaz didn't know. Maybe Fuzzy was a little harsh. Maybe we should just drop it.

We get it, it's a valid criticizm, but it's been mentioned. If you continue to bring it up, it was just a warning that someone is going to say something and not to take it so personal, is all. I happen to like the ugly new iMac, even if it does have a crappy video card. And I'm glad it doesn't have wireless as standard because I'd rather not pay for something I will never use, especially if I can easily add it in the future if I do.

Though it does suck that you can't easily add BT later without a dongle, I still agree with you there.

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

camera isn't a "standard" yet and i don't think it ever will be. it's a novelty item that's not needed by majority of the people. only a few bothers with video chatting.

BT isn't also a "standard" yet. i think if you know enough to want it, you have the option to add it - that's pretty good. no need to make it a standard and "force" everyone to pay for something majority of them don't use.

wireless is also not a compelling "standard option" for a desktop. many people will be happy to just stick an ethernet cable since they won't be moving the iMac around the house. so BTO sounds about right.

the bottom line is, adding any of the three will add to the price or apple's costs. and i think it's quite alright the way it is now - BT will probably become a standard in a while as long as its use continues to spread.

as for vram, it's been discussed. i don't think it makes much of a difference to majority of intended buyers of iMac - and they aren't gamers.

19. VooDooPope macrumors member

I would have liked FW8 and more Vram but I still thing the new iMac is a great computer at a good price. Can't wait to get mine.

20. Bozola macrumors regular

I think the best thing that is missing... is the computer! :) !

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

What do you need FW8 for? (In a consumer computer)

Pro model, yes. Well even maybe right now since very few devices support it.

Let's be realistic here. This is a consumer computer model. Not a pro model.

Sushi

22. vga4life macrumors 6502

Actually, Apple claims the imac G5 is a gaming computer. Go to http://www.apple.com/imac and look at how much they talk about games. Almost more than they talk about iLife.

Don't delude yourself. People see "Oh, Apple says I can play Doom III on it!" (claim made here http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html ) - boy will they be steamed when they find out they'll be playing in 640x480 (i.e. non native resolution on the LCD) at 10-15fps.

The crappy video card is a legitimate gripe, and Apple needs to know it. They read these boards, and I'm all in favor of keeping the heat on them.

-vga4life

23. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sure, apple also says this:

which might as well be true. apple's not making any claims against any of the PC gaming rigs.

note that apple listing games as potential use doesn't mean it's a gaming computer. if you say "gaming computer" to someone who's a serious gamer, that means completely different thing than how apple is advertising iMac's ability to play games. so in that sense, iMac is not a "gaming computer."

can we drop this now?

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Really, now, you know it won't be dropped until Apple releases the next rev of the iMac, and then it will shift to why that version sucks as a gaming machine.... ;)

25. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I think basicly the iMac in short has shortcoming that are not very forgiveble for a desktop to many people (me being one of them). These short coming are fine for a laptop and hell even higher shortcoming are forgiveble for laptops. Problem is this is the new imac is almost like a wanna be Desktop and a wanna be laptop at the same time. So you get shortcomings of both. You get some advatages of each but still gets it short comings