what the... TiBook 800s just released and now 800MHz iBooks?!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by cb911, May 7, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

now PowerPage is saying that there will be new iBooks released this week, just after the 800MHz TiBooks were released. PowerPage says that the high-end iBooks will be 800MHz, which i don't beleive. does anyone beleive this? even if the iBooks were put upto 700MHz, thats past the low-end TiBook. even though the iBooks are G3s there would probably still be alot of unhappy TiBook owners! i don't think that Apple can release any new iBooks until the TiBooks are at 1GHz, and considering that the 800s were just released that probably won't be for a while. but then if new iBooks were released, that would mean we would be seeing 1GHz TiBooks at MWNY, right? i'm definitely going to hold off buying a new 800MHz TiBook until i see whats happening with the iBooks.

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i see your points. but then again, tell that to people waiting for an ibook upgrade...

the g3/g4 difference is substantial, as is the difference in bus speed and video cards and all that... so while i DO think that having ibooks with similar or better mhz to the tibooks is not ideal, i think that it's better than keeping the ibooks as slow as they are for another few months...

then again, i'm not in the laptop market so what do i know?

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I don't think people will mind. There have been equal MHz ratings b/n iBooks and TiBooks in the past (correct me if I'm wrong there - but even if I am wrong, there's been very small gaps before).

Any person with a brain will take a G4 800 over a G3 800 any day. And if TiBook owners want to get upset because the iBook has an equivalent MHz rating to their new machine - even though the iBook has a G3 - I think they need to:
    a) take a good, long, hard look at themselves, and
    b) get a life.

IMHO.

4. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

there are those few things like the faster bus and L3 cache in the TiBook. and of course the 32MB video card is a REALLY big difference. if a 800MHz iBook was released i would still go for the TiBook. but if there was a new iBook wouldn't that mean another new TiBook really soon?:confused: i just don't want to get a TiBook 800 now and then Apple release a 1GHz TiBook anytime this year.

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the iBook 600 was out during the time that the PB was entering at 550, so whats the big deal??

they were 600MHz while the PB were topping out at 667. They were 500 when the PB were topped out at 500.

What's your point??

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Good for Apple if they release an 800 MHz iBook, hell, they want people to buy any apple, don't they. It will allow them to retain the low end laptop buyers.

Here is something to think about, in your supermarket, you will find that the same company makes similar products, one cheap and one expensive. Or Gap/Old Navy similar clothes, one medium prices, one cheap. Apple is just covering the spread. I am sure that 800MHz G3's are probably not much more expensive than a 600 MHz G3. They can get away without the L3 cache and a slower bus, and a less buff video subsystem, if they have a faster CPU, because alot of people look at that first. IMHO

7. iGav macrumors G3

You can't keep waiting...... now that Apple release sporadically, with seemingly no patterns between releases, they might not release the 1ghz till MWSF 03, then 2 months later release a 1.2, you could be waiting for ever man..... the 800 is a blinding machine, go spend the dough!! ;)

I know how you feel though, when I bought a Beige 266Mhz G3, it was almost the top end machine, then a couple of months later Apple released the Blue and White G3, at faster speeds, better case, basically totally greater specs and was cheaper to boot!! I was peeved but the machine lasted me until Jan 01, and I was using it for alot of mental stuff......

I don't think we'll be seeing a new TiBook for awhile yet......

GO BUY NOW.........

8. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

look guys and gals MWNY is for Power Macs to shine and not 1 GHZ PBs, they wont be out until at least the fall and most likely MWSF 03. Let apple come out with a 800MHZ g3 ibook, who cares, the lack of the L3 cache, 133MHZ bus, 32Vmem, no DVI output, no s-video output, smaller screen, and ohh did i forget to mention that it's only a G3!!!!!!!

so what if oSX.2 wont run as smooth as possible. its not going to be about until at least september right? mayeb they'll do a light touch up on the PBs in early fall (add 64MB of video) and then upgrade iBooks to 32MB of video in January.

tyler

9. OKComputer macrumors 6502

ibooks and powerbooks

when the ibooks came out they were rated at 500 mhz G3 if you remember correctly at that time the powerbooks were only rated at 400-500 G4 Still the benifits of a G4 are far greater..

10. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Processors are different, bro

As other reviewers have pointed out, a G4 800 Mhz processor still beats out a G3 processor with the same clockspeed. In addition, as another reviewer noted, high-end iBooks already have clockspeed that is faster than a low-end TiBook.

Look, I bought a TiBook back in late January/early February this year knowing full well that Apple might release a new version by March or April. I could have waited, but in the 3+ months that I have used my TiBook, I have led a very productive life. I wished that I could have a better system, but I have no regrets that I bought my TiBook when I did. Anyone who is thinking of getting a TiBook should get one now, since Apple has just released a new version. Otherwise, you can torture yourself for the next 6-8 months surfing through MacRumors to find out when the new TiBook will be released.

But by then, of course, you'll probably want to wait until they come out with a G5 PowerBook . . .

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

here here:D

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Same here, I think I'm going to hold out for the 1Ghz. I would hate to get an 800 now and for in just a few months time there to be a Ghz model.

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

but either speed in a tibook would be quite an amazing machine

i just have an old ibook and will probably follow up with another ibook next year sometime (i only get what i need and unless i become an artist or graphics person, i will leave to the tibook to the pros out there...unless the price comes down)

14. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

ok, so the iBooks and the TiBooks have been pretty close in the past, but they have never been the exact same speed, right? i've already been waiting since January so i guess i should just buy already. but if the iBook and the TiBook were both 800MHz wouldn't that mean that the iBook would have a substantial price rise, or the TiBook have a price drop? anyway, i'm still going to wait until the new iBooks to see what happens to the TiBook prices.

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

not really...both machines have diff features and diff processors

16. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

G4 and G3

Look, people that have G4s aren't upset of a faster MHz G3. The G4 has a better video card, runs X better, is faster, and is just better in every aspect.

17. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i meant that the iBook and the TiBook have been pretty close in MHz. and yes, there are alot of other big differences, so i'm going to stop worring and get a 800MHz TiBook now.:D

18. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

congratulations, you won't regret it! Plus, you'll be the envy of the vast majority of posters here :)